PDA

View Full Version : WWE Apologizes to GLAAD for Homophobic Tone in Recent Cena Promos

Travicity
03-18-2011, 04:48 PM
The Gay and Lesbian Anti-Defamation Defense League issued the following statement on their website yesterday:

WWE Partners with GLAAD on Anti-Bullying Messages

World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) will be working with GLAAD to create and promote an anti-bullying initiative aimed at their core audience, and has invited us to conduct trainings for their staff of writers and editors.

Our outreach to WWE was prompted by outrage from many LGBT viewers, about a series of homophobic taunts by wrestler John Cena on the USA program WWE Raw in late February. We reached out to WWE Incorporated, which responded swiftly and positively.

GLAAD was first made aware of the incidents by several of its members following the February 21 broadcast of WWE Raw, which featured wrestler John Cena responding to taunts made by Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson with a rap song making fun of Johnson’s film roles. The song included lyrics like “You left us high and dry to play a fairy with a tooth?” and “He wore lipstick in Get Shorty, and rocked a skirt for The Game Plan.”

But the real kicker came near the end when he said: "Just don’t go racing to Witch Mountain, Rock, cause your mountain is Brokeback."

The next incident occurred on the show a week later (Feb. 28), when Cena was challenging another wrestler known as “The Miz” while in the ring with him, and had the crowd roaring when he joked about the Miz and his wrestling partner secretly being a couple. It began with Cena saying “Do you really want to look back years from now and realize you shared your legacy with another man?! ….Wait don’t answer that.” Cena continued:

“Now The Miz and Alex Riley are co-champions and to celebrate it they’re going to move in together. They’re going to buy one of those tandem bikes and ride to bed bath and beyond to buy some duvets. And every evening they’re going to relax with a glass of warm piot noir and watch The Notebook, or reruns of last season’s Bachelor. ……….You want to be a mentor and train him? Well, tonight I’m going to train you on how to be a man.”

The incidents were particularly troubling because WWE recently began promoting itself as PG-rated entertainment marketed primarily towards adolescent males. Young boys are of course the demographic most likely to experience homophobic bullying or to be bullying themselves. And there was wrestling superstar John Cena performing what amounted to scripted homophobic bullying of other wrestlers on a nationally broadcast show for kids.

GLAAD contacted WWE executives and explained the problem after receiving our first reports. They then spoke to John Cena and the show’s writers. We have been assured that not only will such incidents not happen again, WWE intends to reach out to their adolescent audience, with messages aimed making it clear that bullying someone with homophobic taunts or for their perceived sexual orientation is wrong. WWE released the following apology statement to that effect:

"WWE takes this issue very seriously, and has already spoken with our talent about these incidents. We are taking steps and working with GLAAD to ensure that our fans know that WWE is against bullying or discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation. We strongly value our fans in the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community, and apologize to them for these incidents."

We are very much looking forward to developing our relationship with WWE, and we thank them both for hearing our message loud and clear, and for planning to send an anti-bullying message of their own.

PWI

Slayer_X
03-18-2011, 06:50 PM
I hate political correctness in pro wresting . Did anyone get mad at don morraco for calling ivan putski a pollock ? nope .

Metalitia
03-18-2011, 07:29 PM
You're shittting me right?

It's not like he called Miz a faggot and then went on a homophobic tirade.

No offensive names were used and it was just harmless if childish pandering to the crowd.

Still what better publicity than an internationally recognised, traditionally a "mans man" style of entertainment to get their messages across.

Kudos on the cleverness part.

Super KC
03-18-2011, 09:26 PM
what a bunch of homos

Swinny
03-18-2011, 10:21 PM
Jesus Christ. Political correctness is just getting ridiculous. Everyone needs to stop taking the fun out of everything and lighten the fuck up.

Kenpachi Zaraki
03-19-2011, 06:53 AM
maybe the fact that both the promos sucked had something to do with them complaining :shifty:

Swinny
03-19-2011, 07:12 AM
maybe the fact that both the promos sucked had something to do with them complaining :shifty:

I thought the Rock promo was the best thing Cena's done in years. However... The Miz one might have been the worst he's done in years, lol, so...

Big Evil
03-19-2011, 08:08 AM
This is bull. People can't take a joke anymore. One guy tries to have a little fun, get a laugh out of the same demographic that he shares and knows they will laugh at. It doesn't matter if someone is actually gay or not, it is about being guys and ribbing each other whenever. It's about getting a laugh. Can you picture Miz and Riley on a tandem bike? Funny to me! But no, some uptight buzzkills have to whine and bitch. Back in the attitude era, Vince would have told them to go F themselves, now he takes it in the ass just to appease some people that don't even watch the show!

Swinny
03-19-2011, 08:43 AM
This is bull. People can't take a joke anymore. One guy tries to have a little fun, get a laugh out of the same demographic that he shares and knows they will laugh at. It doesn't matter if someone is actually gay or not, it is about being guys and ribbing each other whenever. It's about getting a laugh. Can you picture Miz and Riley on a tandem bike? Funny to me! But no, some uptight buzzkills have to whine and bitch. Back in the attitude era, Vince would have told them to go F themselves, now he takes it in the ass just to appease some people that don't even watch the show!

You said that Vince takes it in the ass! Homosexuals also take it in the ass! Thus, I demand an apology for your homophobic behavior! :shifty:

Super KC
03-19-2011, 08:46 AM
^^^^

Kenpachi Zaraki
03-19-2011, 01:46 PM
I thought the Rock promo was the best thing Cena's done in years. However... The Miz one might have been the worst he's done in years, lol, so...

The second Rock one sucked

JohnCenaFan28
03-19-2011, 02:11 PM
This is interesting to say the least. They want to get rid of the image that being gay is bad/something to make fun of people for which is a good thing but it will always be that straight guys will joke amongst themselves sometimes about someone else being gay and it'd just be for a laugh or whatever and not to be taken seriously. Since it was clear that Cena was joking, there shouldn't be a problem. If he went on some crazy tirade yelling "die faggot!" and other stuff then I'd agree. That wasn't even a sign of bullying, if it were true homophobic bullying Cena would have beat down Miz/Rock with a chair or something and made it known that it was because he perceived they were gay, which of course, has nothing to do with the story they're in. But, if GLAAD (who annoy me so much) want to play it like that in Ugly Betty there's tons of jokes from the gay characters making fun of straight people, I want to complain to GLAAD to control their people better!

Swinny
03-19-2011, 09:20 PM
The second Rock one sucked

Yeah, the lines they're referencing in this are from the first one though.

Kage
03-19-2011, 09:24 PM
I'm surprised there was no mention of the purple pinwheel.

Travicity
03-19-2011, 10:24 PM
Gay Bashing Bastards!

tapout
03-20-2011, 08:24 AM
Damn someone got their (lace frilled) panties in a bunch.

Kellie
03-20-2011, 09:44 AM
But then again, didnt Cena get in trouble and fined for saying Ass? seems like WWE get their panties in a knot over nothing as well

Metalitia
03-20-2011, 03:29 PM
But, if GLAAD (who annoy me so much) want to play it like that in Ugly Betty there's tons of jokes from the gay characters making fun of straight people, I want to complain to GLAAD to control their people better!

"Their people" ? How judgmental promoting an us and them attitude:nff:

Like I mentioned earlier though, albeit it cynical of me I still think this is more a way fro them to get their message across to a wider audience.

GLAAD and organisations of such like are there to "raise awareness" and all that shit so what better way than to get in league witha sort of fight sport where stereotypically it's a straight male audience.

mikedudelang
03-20-2011, 11:17 PM
Screw GLAAD. Get a sense of humor. I mean c'mon, you nail each other in the ass. Don't take yourselves so seriously.