PDA

View Full Version : WWE Offended to be Called a Wrestling Company

Travicity
03-21-2011, 02:01 AM
Apparently, World WRESTLING Entertainment are offended that they are perceived as a WRESTLING company.

TVWeek.com put out a headline mentioning 'Drew Carey inducted into pro wrestling Hall of Fame'. Later, they received an email from WWE publicist, Kellie Baldyga, demanding that they change the headline, mentioning that "We are no longer a wrestling company but rather a global entertainment company with a movie studio, international licensing deals, publisher of three magazines, consumer good distributor and more."

Baldyga added "No, we don't do wrestling events. They're entertainments. And we don’t call them wrestlers. They’re superstars and divas."

TVWeek refused to change the headline. They just removed it. She then followed up, writing "I know the perception is that we are a wrestling company but we are actually much more than that--we are a global media company which is how our Chairman and CEO, Vince McMahon, positions us."

PWI

DA
03-21-2011, 02:02 AM
:lmao: Morons

Travicity
03-21-2011, 02:03 AM
Whole forum Let's go to a Entertainments show :omg:

Dragón De Muerte
03-21-2011, 02:05 AM
Haaaaaaaaaaaaa Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Haaaaaaaaa Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa omk omk this is just brilliant. they sell WRESTLING goods, have 3 WRESTLING magazines, they make naff movies starring WRESTLERS!!! and do weekily wrestling shows and monthly ppvs but there not a wrestling company yeah sure....lol

Travicity
03-21-2011, 02:07 AM
Haaaaaaaaaaaaa Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Haaaaaaaaa Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa omk omk this is just brilliant. they sell entertainment goods, have 3 entertainment magazines, they make naff movies starring superstars and divas!!! and do weekily entertainments shows and monthly ppvs but there not a wrestling company yeah sure....lol

^ Corrected :shifty:

DA
03-21-2011, 02:07 AM
Sooo... stop reporting WWE since it ain't wrestling anymore...? :shifty:

Swinny
03-21-2011, 02:08 AM
"Baldyga added "No, we don't do wrestling events. They're entertainments. And we don’t call them wrestlers. They’re superstars and divas."

That's one of the stupidest fucking lines I have ever read. I have no idea what the WWE is trying to prove by distancing themselves from wrestling, but it's really irritating me. All they're going to do is piss off actual wrestling fans and it's not like they're going to get people who have no interest in "wrestling" to watch, just because it's dubbed "entertainment".

Travicity
03-21-2011, 02:08 AM
Guess we should merge it with Entertainment Section :think:

DA
03-21-2011, 02:12 AM
^^Or send it to lala land since they aren't even entertaining

Smartmark
03-21-2011, 02:12 AM
:lmao:

I've said it all along. They don't do wrestling. And they are completely idiots!

Metalitia
03-21-2011, 02:25 AM
As Swinny said all this distancing is gonna achieve is a further lack in viewers and purchasers of their product.

Pissing off wrestling fans and indeed is anyone who isn't a wrestling fan really gonna watch WWE on a regular basis?

Also seeing as this is apparently the direction that "Chairman and CEO, Vince McMahon" has positioned them in does that mean it could be fairly claimed that Vince has declared TNA is the number 1 wrestling company in the world?

Kenpachi Zaraki
03-21-2011, 07:08 AM
what they're saying is that they don't do wrestling alone but a lot more things. Seriously think before you post people although that line about wrestling events was stupid

Swinny
03-21-2011, 07:16 AM
what they're saying is that they don't do wrestling alone but a lot more things. Seriously think before you post people although that line about wrestling events was stupid

They've NEVER just done wrestling alone, but they weren't so quick to point it out and correct people. It's one thing to refer to the company as an "entertainment company", it's another to actually correct someone for calling them a wrestling company.

HAR
03-21-2011, 07:43 AM
They are A WRESTLING company whether they like or not. It's obvious Vince wants to get away from the sports committees regulations in the different states especially after the bad press WWE received after the Benoit incident.

Travicity
03-21-2011, 03:58 PM
So that means TNA is the number 1 wrestling promotion in the world?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Kenpachi Zaraki
03-21-2011, 04:52 PM
TNA aint wrestling its shit plain and simple

Marshall Mathers
03-21-2011, 06:12 PM
so they should start calling themselves WE instead of WWE because they are no longer wrestling. GET THE W OUT!

Bubala
03-21-2011, 06:30 PM
WTF is the fuss. If you put make-up on a pig it's still a pig right? If you put two sweaty half-naked muscled guys in a ring where they do bodyslams that IS wrestling even though there may have been some flash and balls added right?

wwe9112
03-22-2011, 12:55 AM
I see a name change coming in the future! WOW, wrestling doesn't exist any longer. I guess only in the Indy promotions. All they are really trying to do is avoid regulations so they are getting everyone to stop calling them Wrestling.

Smartmark
03-22-2011, 01:05 AM
They should change the name of the RAW brand as well, as it's short for Real Athletic Wrestling

Nothing WWE does surprises me anymore to be honest

Travicity
03-22-2011, 01:05 AM
Should change there name to World Wide Entertainment.

wwe9112
03-22-2011, 01:08 AM
They should change the name of the RAW brand as well, as it's short for Real Athletic Wrestling

Nothing WWE does surprises me anymore to be honest

I honestly didn't know that's what Raw had stood for. Yup time for a change in that too lol; however, they wont because "Raw," "is the longest episodic show on cable television today" as said a few times if not weekly lol.

Swinny
03-22-2011, 01:13 AM

Where'd you get that information?

Smartmark
03-22-2011, 01:16 AM
^^ It's an old known fact. It was mentioned many times in promos etc, some years ago. Also in a couple of RAW Vs Smackdown games

Travicity
03-22-2011, 01:16 AM
Yea ive heard that before.

Unless it's Really Awesome Wrestling

But Obviously it's War backwards.

Travicity
03-22-2011, 01:18 AM
But not sure it does stand for anything really unless it's

Real American Wrestling :shifty2: and why not Ruthless Athletic Wrestling :shifty3:

Swinny
03-22-2011, 01:29 AM
Yeah, I never heard of it ever standing for everything. It might, but I never heard of it. Considering it was originally "RAW is WAR" it would make more sense if it didn't stand for anything, but WAR backwards, because Real Athletic Wrestling is WAR? Doesn't exactly sound right.

Kenpachi Zaraki
03-22-2011, 05:51 AM
lmao RAW doesn't stand for Real Athletic Wrestling Raw is just Raw

Smartmark
03-22-2011, 05:57 AM
^^ It does, seriously. But that wasn't my point.

My point was that they have to remove everything that has anything to do with wrestling.

Kenpachi Zaraki
03-22-2011, 06:00 AM
then what was Raw is War all about lol

LionDen
03-22-2011, 04:11 PM
lol Next I will be sued for having wrestling in the forum title.

Travicity
03-22-2011, 04:33 PM
^ UH OH Don't curse it dude. But UOE :think:

George Steele
03-22-2011, 05:16 PM
It's The New Kayfabe! :lmao: