PDA

View Full Version : UFC 154's Carlos Condit Believes High-Pressure Attack Can Lead to Finish of GSP

Swinny
11-16-2012, 09:17 AM
UFC 154's Carlos Condit believes high-pressure attack can lead to finish of GSP
by John Morgan and Steven Marrocco on Nov 15, 2012 at 10:00 pm ET

MONTREAL – According to oddsmakers, UFC interim welterweight champion Carlos Condit (28-5 MMA, 5-1 UFC) has about a 25 percent chase of defeating UFC title holder Georges St-Pierre (22-2 MMA, 16-2 UFC) at this weekend's UFC 154 event.

Not surprisingly, Condit doesn't agree.

Instead, the "Natural Born Killer" believes he's primed for the upset, and he pins his chances on one simple approach: pressure, pressure, pressure.

"I feel like I just have the ability to threaten from any position, whether we're standing or the fight is on the ground," Condit said. "I try to finish from my back if I get put there, which I think is a big difference from some of the contenders he's fought in the past."

UFC 154 takes place Saturday at Montreal's Bell Centre. The evening's main card airs on pay-per-view following prelims on FX and Facebook.

St-Pierre, of course, has ruled the UFC's welterweight division since 2008. He's sometimes been criticized for an inability to finish his opponents, but his penchant for dominating top-level opponents is uncanny. He's defended the belt six times in his current title run, and while five of those fights went to a decision, St-Pierre was generally dominant in each of the contests.

However, going into Saturday's event, the question marks seem to be focused largely on St-Pierre's form.

A knee injury means St-Pierre hasn't fought in nearly 19 months, and his most recent appearance – an April 2011 win over Jake Shields – was widely criticized. Even Condit, who has been respectful of his opponent throughout the buildup, admits he wasn't exactly entertained by the UFC 129 headliner.

"I think it was a little bit lackluster," Condit admitted.

In the interim, St-Pierre insists he has completely healed from a surgical repair to his knee, and he also promises the fire to compete has returned and he'll be more "opportunistic" in looking for opportunities to end his fight. Condit knows St-Pierre's strength lies in his ability to mix his attacks in the cage, striking when opponents are prepped to wrestle and grappling when his foes are hoping to drop bombs.

However, Condit's lengthy frame and ability to fire knees and kicks with as much confidence as his punches could prove challenging for St-Pierre to defend. Additionally, Condit is a danger on his back, so if St-Pierre does score a takedown, he won't be able to rest comfortably in top position.

Condit believes it's these strengths that will allow him to test St-Pierre throughout the 25-minute affair.

"I'm going to test him on all aspects, on all fronts," Condit said. "I'm going to take the fight to him and try to see whatever opportunity I can to finish the fight."

Casual fans might not recognize Condit's entire body of work. A former WEC champ, Condit has been competing professionally since 2002 and actually has nine more professional fights to his name than St-Pierre. He's 13-1 in his past 14 fights, comfortable in high-profile fights and brimming with confidence ahead of the biggest opportunity of his life.

As a fellow Greg Jackson disciple, Condit has respect for his teammate. However, as Condit prepares to welcome St-Pierre back from an extended layoff, the interim champ believes it's time for some new blood at the top.

"Georges kind of cleaned out the division of all the contenders," Condit said. "But while he was doing that, there were some other guys that were coming to take their place."