PDA

View Full Version : USA TODAY: New Weight Class, Same Philosophy for UFC 154's Chad Griggs

Swinny
11-17-2012, 08:40 AM
USA TODAY: New weight class, same philosophy for UFC 154's Chad Griggs
by Steven Marrocco on Nov 16, 2012 at 12:15 pm ET

(A condensed version of this story appeared in today's edition of USA TODAY.)

If you want to know Chad Griggs' plan to beat Cyrille Diabate at UFC 154, ask his dad.

Better known as "Corner Pop," 59-year-old Dennis Griggs does everything short of holding mitts for his son during fight camp. Tax forms, medical paperwork, flights, moral support – he should probably get a commission for his work.

Instead, he's offered his son a blueprint to beat Diabate (18-8-1 MMA, 2-2 UFC), a former kickboxing champ, on the FX-televised preliminary-card fight.

"'Hit him in the head, hard,'" the younger Griggs (11-2 MMA, 0-1 UFC) said with a laugh.

The advice is by now a joke to the 34-year-old fighter and full-time firefighter from Tucson, Ariz., who's heard it for every fight – and mostly obliged. He's finished eight opponents in the first round. His nickname is "The Grave Digger."

"Be aggressive, throw heavy leather, and try to hurt my opponent – right now," Griggs said of his combat mantra.

He may need it most right now, though. The former heavyweight is tasked with rebounding from a recent loss now as a smaller man. Saturday's fight marks Griggs' first appearance at light heavyweight.

It's a move he's long delayed. Griggs knew in 2010 he should fight lighter after upsetting the heavily hyped Bobby Lashley in Strikeforce, but he continued to beat bigger opponents such as Gian Villante and Valentijn Overeem (brother of UFC heavyweight contender Alistair Overeem).

Then he ran into the 6-foot-7, 246-pounds-lean Travis Browne, who at UFC 145 gave him a preview of that division's best talent. In less than three minutes, the momentum Griggs had built over two years vanished with a tap to an arm-triangle choke.

Now, Griggs faces a second consecutive setback, which could prompt his ouster from the UFC. To complicate matters, he's shedding weight for the first time in his life. The only mutton chops he's carrying are on his face.

"It puts the pressure on me that I need to perform," he said. "But when it comes time to put a game plan together, am I going to be more cautious and try to just win on points? That's never been my style and never will be. I think that's one of the reasons that the UFC likes me. I'm coming in to win by a knockout or submission."

Stylistically, Diabate could be a gift or curse. The Frechman prefers to stay on the outside and pick his strikes, which means Griggs could overwhelm him early or spend a lot of time eating punches in pursuit. He aims for the former.

But if he's falling short, he'll hear about it between rounds. Saturday night at Montreal's Bell Centre, Pop will be in his corner.