PDA

View Full Version : Champ Jose Aldo Back to Full Training for UFC 156 Headliner

Swinny
11-18-2012, 02:34 AM
Champ Jose Aldo back to full training for UFC 156 headliner
by Dann Stupp and Christian Stein on Nov 17, 2012 at 1:25 pm ET

KINGSTON, R.I. – After injuries forced him out of his past two bookings, UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo is back to full training and on schedule for UFC 156.

Aldo (21-1 MMA, 3-0 UFC) meets former lightweight titleholder Frankie Edgar (14-3-1 MMA, 9-3-1 UFC) in the featherweight headliner of the Feb. 2 pay-per-view event, which takes place in Las Vegas.

Aldo told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) he's back to 100 percent.

"I've been training at full force for a while now after my trainers and doctors cleared me," he told MMAjunkie.com after cornering teammate Marlon Sandro at Friday's Bellator 81 event. "I got back to training right away."

Aldo was slated to fight Edgar (an injury replacement for Erik Koch) this past month at UFC 153 in Rio de Janiero. However, Aldo injured himself in a motorcycle accident, and a subsequent infection in his foot and ankle ultimately forced him off the card completely.

But he said the effects of the accident are gone.

"I'm great," Aldo said. "Thank God, everything is completely healed. We're just training now."

Aldo hasn't fought since January, when he scored a first-round knockout of Chad Mendes at UFC 142. It marked the former/final WEC champion's 14th consecutive win and his fifth consecutive Zuffa title defense.

Against Edgar, who drops down a weight class for an immediate title shot, it's admittedly a big fight, especially following a 13-month layoff.

"For me, the next opponent and the next fight are always the most important (of my career)," he said. "Now all that's left is to keep training, show up to the fight, and win again."