PDA

View Full Version : Rory MacDonald-Carlos Condit Rematch Targeted for UFC 158 in Montreal

Swinny
12-14-2012, 03:09 AM
RORY MACDONALD-CARLOS CONDIT REMATCH TARGETED FOR UFC 158 IN MONTREAL
BY MATT ERICKSON AND JOHN MORGAN ON DEC 12, 2012 AT 3:15 PM ET

Rory MacDonald had one request after bulldozing right through B.J. Penn for 15 minutes. He wanted Carlos Condit.

Now he'll get his wish.

MacDonald (14-1 MMA, 5-1 UFC) on Wednesday told MMAjunkie.com Radio he's been granted the rematch with Condit (28-6 MMA, 5-2 UFC), and UFC President Dana White confirmed the booking to MMAjunkie.com.

The fight is targeted for March 16 at Bell Centre in Montreal. Though the UFC has not officially announced that show, sources close to the event said it will be UFC 158, a pay-per-view. The placement of the MacDonald-Condit fight was not revealed, though it will be positioned on the main card.

MacDonald's loss to Condit is the lone setback of his career. It came at UFC 115 in June 2010, and it came after MacDonald had won the first two rounds on a pair of scorecards. He took Condit down several times in the first two frames before Condit rallied in the third and was able to get a TKO stoppage with just seven seconds left in the fight.

After his win over Penn (16-9-2 MMA, 12-8-2 UFC) this past Saturday at UFC on FOX 5 in Seattle, MacDonald said his loss to Condit two and a half years ago left him "humiliated," which is why he wants another chance at him.

"There's a guy that humiliated me a couple years ago, and I want my revenge," MacDonald said on Saturday. "Carlos Condit, I want a rematch. Accept my challenge. Let's do it in March – I'm going to get my revenge."

MacDonald told MMAjunkie.com Radio calling out Condit and asking for it in Montreal, where he trains, wound up working out.

"In Montreal – I got exactly what I wanted," MacDonald said. "You can't get what you don't ask for. I'm very, very happy."

MacDonald said the way in which he lost to Condit, which came in front of his home-province fans in Vancouver, British Columbia, has been a motivating factor for him to get some measure of redemption.

"I've been waiting for this day for two and a half years," MacDonald said. "It's something I've wanted more than anything since that night. It was embarrassing. I got beat up in front of my friends and family. It was just a very sad moment for me. It changed who I was, and I just want to get back to it."

Condit is coming off a loss to UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre, MacDonald's teammate at Tristar Gym in Montreal. The fight was a title unification bout for St-Pierre's 170-pound belt and Condit's interim title, which he won in February with a unanimous decision win over Nick Diaz at UFC 143.

Although he's just several days removed from a dominant performance against Penn, which included a pair of 30-26 scores, and the targeted date for his fight with Condit is just three months away, MacDonald said he will take some time off before jumping right back into training.

"I need a little break. I need a week or two to let my injuries pass, let my mind relax. It's been four months of training and focus on B.J. Penn. I need a little downtime with my family, relax and reset."

MacDonald has won four straight since his loss to Condit, and he hasn't lost a round. He dominated Nate Diaz at welterweight at UFC 129 in Toronto, including two 30-26 scores. He stopped Mike Pyle with a first-round TKO at UFC 133. And he stopped Che Mills with a second-round TKO at UFC 145 before beating Penn on Saturday.

Condit had a five-fight streak, including his win over MacDonald, which won "Fight of the Night," before his loss to St-Pierre. Condit on Tuesday told FUEL TV he had agreed to the matchup.

MacDonald said playing the role of matchmaker following the win over Penn made sense, and it worked like a charm.

"Just avenge my loss to Carlos – beating people up is all I'm in this for," he said. "He's coming off his loss, and I'm coming off a winning streak since that loss (to Condit). Beating B.J. Penn put me up a little in the division, so I thought it made sense."