PDA

View Full Version : Legacy FC 16 Results

Swinny
12-16-2012, 08:06 AM
LEGACY FC 16 RESULTS: CAMPUZANO WINS FLYWEIGHT TITLE, HOBAR TOPS RIVAL PETERSON
BY DANN STUPP ON DEC 15, 2012 AT 4:00 AM ET

Will Campuzano continues to rebuild his career after an unsuccessful UFC run, and in the headliner of Friday's Legacy FC 16 event, he added a new belt to his collection.

As expected, Jimmy Flick (5-1) presented early problems with his smothering wrestling game, but Campuzano (11-4) landed a flush knee in the second round to set up his victory, which earned the organization's vacant flyweight championship.

The event took place at Allen Event Center in Allen, Texas, and the main card aired on AXS TV.

Flick scored an early trip-takedown after much effort and spent the first round in top position. However, Campuzano successfully kept his opponent out of mount position and largely avoided any damage with his defensive maneuvering.

Then, at the start of the second round, Campuzano shucked off a takedown attempt and tagged Flick with a big knee to the head. Campuzano followed him to the mat and unloaded additional punches until the referee awarded the TKO stoppage just 26 seconds into the round.

"I started to figure out his timing, and once I got his timing down, I knocked him out," said Campuzano, who received his belt from Legacy FC promoter Mick Maynard. "... He fights with a lot of aggressiveness, but I'm a vet."

Hobar, Skelly victorious in featured bouts

Matt Hobar avenged an earlier defeat to Steven Peterson that had been gnawing at him for the past four months.

The featherweights' August bout ended in a TKO win for Peterson after Hobar dislocated his arm while throwing a wild punch. Peterson won over few fans when he mocked his injured opponent with a crybaby routine, which led to plenty of trash talk leading into their co-headlining rematch.

Hobar (6-1) had a striking edge in the first two rounds, which included a knockdown of Peterson (8-3) in the second. But he also was aided by Peterson's one-point deduction for illegal upkicks in the third round, where Peterson mounted an ultimately unsuccessful rally. It resulted in a majority-decision win (via 29-27, 29-27 and 28-28 scores) for Hobar, who otherwise would have earned a split decision in the standup-heavy bout.

"I was coming off that bad injury, and the way he reacted to it wasn't the most sportsman-like deal," Hobar said. "But I wanted to show I could overcome that setback and win this fight."

In another featured bout, undefeated featherweight prospect and Bellator vet Chas Skelly (10-0) picked up a quality victory by scoring a late-fight stoppage of veteran Rey Trujillo (12-9).

While the Team Takedown fighter's wrestling skills have resulted in a string of submission victories, and though he often put Trujillo on the mat during the dominant and grinding performance, Skelly ultimately used a swam of punches from the mount position to pick up a TKO stoppage at the 4:53 mark of the third round.

Quick finishes kick off main card

Bantamweight Ryan Benoit (6-1) compounded the problems of Joseph Sandoval (6-4) and delivered the former UFC fighter his fourth consecutive loss after scoring a quick 62-second TKO stoppage. The muay Thai fighter set up the stoppage with a stiff right hand to the chin.

Derrick Krantz (14-6) took back-mount position early in his fight with welterweight Charles Byrd (4-3) and never let it go. He ultimately put his opponent to sleep via rear-naked choke at the 3:02 mark of the opening round.

Klayton Mai (4-0) kept his perfect record intact after using a standing guillotine choke to submit fellow bantamweight Alex Russ (4-2). The first-round stoppage came at the 3:31 mark.

In the TV curtain-jerker, NCAA Division I national wrestling champion Darrion Caldwell (1-0) made a successful pro debut in MMA as he scored a 60-second knockout of fellow featherweight and former bodybuilder Quaint Kempf (5-4).

The full Legacy FC 16 results included:

MAIN CARD

Will Campuzano def. Jimmy Flick via TKO (knee and punches) - Round 2, 0:26 - wins vacant flyweight title
Matt Hobar def. Steven Peterson via majority decision (29-27, 29-27, 28-28)
Chas Skelly def. Rey Trujillo via TKO (punches) - Round 3, 4:53
Ryan Benoit def. Joseph Sandoval via TKO (punches) - Round 1, 1:02
Derrick Krantz def. Charles Byrd via submission (rear-naked choke) - Round 1, 3:02
Klayton Mai def. Alex Russ via submission (guillotine choke) - Round 1, 3:31
Darrion Caldwell def. Quaint Kempf via TKO (punches) - Round 1, 1:00

PRELIMINARY CARD

Eli Tamez def. Nathan Torres via TKO (injury) - Round 2
Russell Brewer def. Aaron Culpepper via unanimous decision
Evan Thompson def. Bobby Moore via TKO (punches) - Round 1
Sidney Cawdrey def. Joseph Salas via unanimous decision
Alfredo Leija def. Alex Madrid via TKO (punches) - Round 2