PDA

View Full Version : Lambert: We were fantastic

Vikingsfan88
12-16-2012, 10:24 AM
Paul Lambert felt his Aston Villa side put in a 'fantastic' performance as they overcame Liverpool 3-1 at Anfield.

Lambert has always maintained that his young side would come good once they had been given time to gel, and a five-match unbeaten run has lifted them three points clear of the relegation zone.

Villa were full value for their latest success, with Liverpool made to pay for their inability to convert chances early on.

Christian Benteke bagged a brace on Merseyside, while another in-form forward, Andreas Weimann, was also on target.

Lambert was understandably proud of the efforts of his team at the final whistle, with his frontmen earning special praise.

He told Sky Sports: "I thought we were outstanding again. I think we are playing really, really well at the minute. I thought we were fantastic.

"I thought we looked a threat with Christian and Andy up front and we deserved to win the game."

On Benteke and Weimann, who have been a regular source of goals in recent weeks, he added: "Andy Weimann is a natural finisher. If you look at the build-up play to the goals, there were some world-class goals - there was the back-heel and the finish. Benteke was outstanding and I thought Andy was fantastic for us again."
Brilliant

Lambert also took the opportunity to pay tribute to his youngsters, who are growing in stature with each passing game.

He said: "I knew what I was getting, it just needed a little bit of time to get adjusted.

"They have been absolutely brilliant for me."

Skysports.com