PDA

View Full Version : UFC presents 'Octagon of Excellence' award to Boys Town Nevada

Konan
12-30-2012, 03:10 PM
http://www.mmajunkie.com/files/thumb/58393/0

LAS VEGAS – The Ultimate Fighting Championship on Friday presented its latest "Octagon of Excellence" award and grant, and this time the honor stayed local.

The promotion honored Las Vegas-based attorney Tony Sgro for his work with Boys Town Nevada, a Las Vegas-area organization that provides assistance in child and family care for those in need. The organization provides services to more than 1,500 children and 750 Nevada families each year.

Boys Town Nevada was given a $5,000 grant from the UFC, presented by Reed Harris, the UFC's director of community relations. The award presentation ceremony took place prior to the fighter weigh-ins for UFC 155 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

For his part, Sgro began working with Boys Town Nevada 10 years ago, reaching out to the UFC to see if its fighters would visit with some of the kids in its programs.

"One of the things the Ultimate Fighting Championship, especially Dana White and Lorenzo and Frank Fertitta, stress is that we work with the community – especially the youth of the community," Harris said. "We give an award for people we think have gone above and beyond to try to improve the place we live. Ten years ago, (Sgro) came to Dana White and said, 'I really think it would be great if these kids could experience and meet your fighters.' So for the last 10 years, we've been going to Boys Town Nevada, working with the kids, bringing fighters – and it was completely conceived by (Sgro)."

Sgro, with the Petti, Sgro and Lewis law firm, attended Bishop Gorman High School in Las Vegas.

"I'm honored and appreciate this award," Sgro said. "But it's really just a symbol of a lot of people who make this (possible). The kick-ass staff of Boys Town, the UFC, the people in the community that help us out, and the fighters. It started as a couple fighters in the back of a car 10 years ago with a few gifts, and the rest is history. Hundreds of fighters have been (to Boys Town Nevada), thousands of tickets have been given out to these kids, and I'm just grateful to be part of it."