PDA

View Full Version : Following UFC 156 withdrawal, Erick Silva targeting March return

Konan
01-04-2013, 10:55 AM
If all goes well, Erick Silva's time on the shelf will be minimal.

Despite the Brazilian prospect being forced to withdraw from February's UFC 156 event, Silva (14-3 MMA, 2-2 UFC) said he hopes to return to the cage in March, and UFC matchmaker Joe Silva is apparently on board.

"Joe told me that I could come back at an event in March," Silva said through an interpreter.

Featuring a featherweight title fight between current champion Jose Aldo and former lightweight champ Frankie Edgar, UFC 156 takes place Feb. 2 at Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. The evening's main card airs on pay-per-view.

Silva was expected to face Jay Hieron (23-6 MMA, 0-3 UFC) at UFC 156 before company officials announced the welterweight was forced to withdraw from that card, which allowed former Strikeforce fighter Tyron Woodley to take his place.

Silva insists he wanted to remain on the card, but an infection in his leg and a subsequent injury to his elbow left him unable to train at full-speed.

"I am in great pain when training," Silva admitted. "Doctors instructedme to train lighter, and as there are only four weeks to the fight on Feb. 2, I knew I would not be 100 percent until the day of the fight.

"It was a high-level fight, and I can not enter it while training at only 50 percent."

Silva said he did not train for 10 days, and he's currently resting and taking antibiotics.

March is currently slated to be a big month in Silva's division, as UFC 158 takes place March 16 in Canada and features a welterweight title fight between current champ Georges St-Pierre and top contender Nick Diaz, as well as key fights in the division with Jake Ellenberger vs. Johny Hendricks and Carlos Condit vs. Rory MacDonald.

Silva hopes he gets a new opponent soon, as his withdrawal from UFC 156 simple isn't sitting well with him right now.

"I feel sad for not fighting at this event," Silva said.