PDA

View Full Version : UFC on FOX 6's Glover Teixeira is thankful brains aren't located in stomachs

Konan
01-24-2013, 08:58 PM
CHICAGO – Glover Teixeira has the mind of a fighter, so it occasionally wanders into some odd territory – like what would happen if our brains were located in other parts of our body.

Teixeira (19-2 MMA, 2-0 UFC) co-headlines Saturday's UFC on FOX 6 event in a bout with former light-heavyweight champion Quinton "Rampage" Jackson (32-10 MMA, 7-4 UFC). Both vets have proven knockout ability, and it's a big reason fans are anxious to see them tangle on network TV from Chicago's United Center.

Jackson plans to leave the UFC after the fight, and Teixeira hopes a victory over the departing ex-champ moves him closer to his dream of a UFC title fight. Fans, though, aren't looking too far into the future. Instead, they just want to see two hard-hitting notables trade leather.

Teixeira understands their excitement. After all, he was recently talking to some friends about how pointless MMA would be if it didn't have the threat of someone losing consciousness.

As he told them, "Imagine if your brain was like in your stomach or somewhere or the feet somewhere, and you can't get knocked out. All the fights would go three rounds, and they'd be bored. People like fights because of the knockouts and submissions. That's what makes the sport so exciting."

When not discussing brain placement, Teixeira has been fielding numerous questions about his unique standing in the 205-pound division. While the Brazilian has just two fights in the UFC, he's found it increasingly difficult to find opponents. After all, 17-fight win streaks have a way of making that happen.

But Teixeira knows it's not just the win streak or his finishing rate (89 percent) that has opponents on notice. With victories over mid-level light heavyweights Kyles Kingsbury and Fabio Maldonado, Teixeira simply doesn't have the name recognition his fellow contenders prefer when accepting matchups.

That's why Teixeira is thankful for Jackson – despite his feud with the UFC and complaints about Teixeira's wrestling. Teixeira said he doesn't listen to the trash talk and simply appreciates a tough opponent taking the fight.

"I believe this is his last fight, and I believe he's going to come in here in the best shape," he said. "He's definitely going to come back stronger. It's his last fight. No one wants to go away with a bad fight.

"'Rampage' is a tough guy who's tough to put away, but that's the key. That's why people love to watch the fights."

So it safe to say Jackson doesn't have the fear other light heavyweights seem to when it comes to fighting Teixeira?

"Look, no one is afraid," he said. "I don't like to use that word. They're fighters. They're warriors. They get in the arena. They're champions. They're not afraid. They probably say (they won't take the fight) because of my name and everything else. That's why I respect 'Rampage.' He took the fight, you know?"

Another reason to like Jackson? Because he's just the type of name Teixeira needs to move up the rankings and become a marketable contender for champ Jon Jones or anyone who beats him.

"This is the biggest fight of my career, no doubt about it," Teixeira said. "(It's) the biggest name and a co-main event in the UFC. I have to keep going and keep showing the fans. My dream is to be fighting in the main event soon. That's my motivation."