PDA

View Full Version : Mike Dolce: I could have 'Cyborg' at 135 pounds in 48 hours for Ronda Rousey

Konan
01-26-2013, 05:55 PM
Nutrition and weight-cutting consultant Mike Dolce has confirmed his services have been sought for former Strikeforce champion Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos. In fact, he's confident he could have the 145-pounder ready for the 135-pound division in a matter of days.

Santos (10-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC), of course, could be next up for newly crowned UFC women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey (6-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) or her opponent next month at UFC 157 opponent, Liz Carmouche (7-2 MMA, 0-0 UFC). However, Santos initially balked at the idea of getting down to 135 pounds, though Rousey said she won't fight her rival at any other weight.

With it likely being the biggest and most lucrative opportunity for Santos, who recently completed a one-year drug suspension after testing positive for an anabolic steroid, she could fulfill Rousey's demands.

Dolce confirmed both UFC officials and the fighter's reps have reached out to him, and he even have a private lunch with the Brazilian fighter a few months ago to discuss the possibility of working together.

"They weren't confident she could do it a healthy manner and be able to perform at the level needed to fight a girl like Rousey for the legitimate pound-for-pound top spot," Dolce told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio) while discussing Santos' reps.

Dolce said he's "of course" interested in working with Santos, who was stripped of her Strikeforce belt after the failed drug test. The fighter, who's now represented by UFC Hall of Famer Tito Ortiz, hasn't signed with the UFC following the closing of Strikeforce, but a deal is likely. Dolce said he'd just need to make sure the timing doesn't interfere with other clients such as Vitor Belfort and Nik Lentz, but he welcomes the possibility of working with Santos.

"I don't know what it is now, but I've been doing it so long that I'm very intuitive in my work, and as soon as I saw her, I could have her make 135 pounds in [two days]," he said. "I guarantee it. ... And she'd be in world-class shape."

Santos, who said she walks around north of 170 pounds, spoke to Dolce about her lifestyle, including training and her diet. From that conversation, Dolce said he was able to identify ways for her to successfully make such a drastic weight cut, even in such a short timeframe.

"Now, I don't suggest that," he said. "I suggest we have a great 12- or 16-week training camp. The more, the better because she'll be healthier, and she'll be better able. But this is what I do. ... I'm not bragging. It's just what it is. I know how to do it healthy."

Dolce, who once famously helped former client Quinton "Rampage" Jackson cut 60 pounds in eight weeks for a 2010 fight with Lyoto Machida, doesn't necessarily like the current state of MMA. Weight-cutting can be dangerous, and though he can aid with drastic cuts in a short amount of time, he thinks fighters – including Santos – benefit from full training camps.

"I wish all athletes would compete at their natural weight class, but it's just not realistic," Dolce said. "Knowing they don't, we need to make them as healthy as possible.

"... It'll have a natural and dramatic effect on her body weight and her performance ability (and) her health. With that, it adds to my confidence, my very strong belief, that she'll make 135 pounds very easily. And she'll be in the best shape of her career. You'll see the true, the best, the greatest 'Cyborg' at 135 pounds once we get her healthier in training and doing the things she needs to be doing to be that."

The Mac
01-26-2013, 06:30 PM
its proven to work she should do the dolce diet