PDA

View Full Version : UFC on FUEL TV 7's Dustin Poirier patient but primed for title bid

Konan
02-09-2013, 04:09 PM
At just 24 years old, UFC featherweight contender Dustin Poirier (13-2 MMA, 5-1 UFC) believes time is on his side when it comes to reaching his goal of becoming a world champion. But if a win over Cub Swanson (18-5 MMA, 3-1 UFC) at next week's UFC on FUEL TV 7 event earns him a shot now, well that would be just fine.

"The truth is, if I go out there and beat Cub Swanson, I'll be right there at the title if not maybe one more fight away," Poirier told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "If the UFC would call me and want me to fight for the title, that's what I would do."

Poirier and Swanson fight in the co-main event of UFC on FUEL TV 7, which takes place Feb. 16 at London's Wembley Arena. It will be the second fight in which the Louisiana native represents American Top Team after moving from his longtime home at Tim Credeur's Gladiators Academy.

"It was tough to move, and not only because of the guys in the gym but because of family and friends back home – being familiar with an area and growing up somewhere," Poirier said. "But it was the right decision for me to move forward in my career. I need to be around good guys, better guys, that can push me every day. It was a tough decision, but it had to be done.

"I told my wife, and of course she doesn't want to leave everybody and all that, too, but she asked me if this is what I thought would help me out, and my goal is to the best fighter, to be a world champion. She knows that I'm chasing that dream very strongly, and I'd do anything, and she saw I was serious about making the move, so she was all for it."

And so the family packed up and moved to Florida, where Poirier admits he hasn't really settled in just yet.

"I've been here a couple months now, and I haven't really been able to enjoy myself that much," Poirier said. "It seems like since I've been here, I've just been working."

In his first appearance as an ATT fighter, Poirier came out aggressively against "The Ultimate Fighter 12" winner Jonathan Brookins and fought threw a few powerful strikes to secure an impressive D'arce-choke finish. Poirier believe he'll have even more tools to display this time around.

"I thought that to finish the fight, my execution was good, but I think I came out a little bit over-aggressive and made a couple of mistakes on the feet, which shouldn't have happened," Poirier said. "But I'm learning from every fight, and I'm happy with my performance.

"You'll see a little bit more this time. The guys over at American Top Team are awesome. I feel like I'm learning every day. There are great coaches and great training partners. I'm getting pushed every single day. There's no days where I go in the gym and go back home fresh. I'm in there working hard and being pushed by some really good guys."

In Swanson, Poirier faces a crisp boxer who boasts submission skills, as well. Swanson is also riding the strength of a three-fight win streak that includes back-to-back "Knockout of the Night" wins over Charles Oliveira and Ross Pearson.

It's a dangerous opponent, without question, but Poirier believes the stylistic matchup made it impossible to say no to the contest.

"I think he's a dangerous fighter," Poirier said." He has great skills standing and on the ground. But I also think that he makes mistakes, and he can be beaten. Those kind of fights, like Cub Swanson, are the kinds of fights that really excite me. He doesn't come to try and outpoint his opponent. He comes to try and finish his opponent.

"He's a fun fighter to watch, and I feel like it's going to be an awesome fight. That helped me make my decision to take the fight. We're going to get in there, and we're going to beat the crap out of each other."

Should he prove victorious, Poirier would improve to 6-1 in the featherweight division with the lone loss coming in a bout with Chan Sung Jung that many pundits believe was 2012's "Fight of the Year."

Of course, former WEC lightweight champ Anthony Pettis has already been promised the next shot at UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo, and many believe Ricardo Lamas is likely next in line. But an impressive Poirier win could thrust him into the conversation, as well.

"The Diamond" isn't necessarily looking to press the issue, but don't expect him to back away if his number is called.

"I'm fighting good guys, and I'm getting better every day, and I feel like I'm still pretty young," Poirier said. "I have a lot of fights left in me, so when it's my time, I'll be ready. If people are forgetting about me, that's pretty stupid.

"I feel like I'm a dangerous fight for anybody, and I'm going to show that next Saturday. I feel like I'd be ready for a title shot if it came along."