PDA

View Full Version : Jack Swagger Must be Suspended for the Wellness Policy to Hold Merit

LG
02-26-2013, 06:01 AM
If everybody has to follow the same rules in the WWE, then Jack Swagger must face disciplinary action for his recent mistake.
By now, Swagger’s bust for DUI and possession of marijuana has hit not only wrestling dirt sheets, but the mass media in general. The timing couldn’t be worse, as Swagger just returned from a nearly six-month layoff, and earned the opportunity to challenge for the world heavyweight championship at WrestleMania 29.
The WWE has to suspend Swagger immediately for breaking the Wellness Policy. He broke his contract with them after being arrested. Of course, Swagger has the right to deny the charges and fight them in court.
The timing of this bust reminds me of another famous one in 2006 (check out the video at the bottom of the article).
Rob Van Dam had finally won a world title, and revived ECW in the process. Just weeks into his run as a double champion, as he won the WWE title and was anointed with the inaugural ECW gold, it ended. An arrest for possession of marijuana, just like Swagger, caused the WWE to call an audible and have the champion drop both belts before suspending him for a month.
It seems the WWE doesn’t have issue enforcing the rules, so it spells bad news for Swagger. If the WWE was to ignore this current matter, it sends the wrong message to the roster.
I don’t expect the
WWE to throw the book and fire Swagger because he got caught doing something that happens every day across the country. I’m not promoting Swagger’s actions as correct, but it’s a far cry from what Chris Benoit did.
A 30-day suspension similar to what happened to Van Dam is due. Swagger committed a crime and has to face the consequences. That’s how life in the real world operates. His arrest isn’t a storyline; it’s more a lapse in judgment which everyone can be blamed for having.
This does leave the WWE in a predicament, however. With about 45 days until WrestleMania, the landscape has changed again.

Who would have thought a month ago where Swagger would currently sit? His future seemed in doubt, and yet he returned last month slightly repackaged. He then won the Elimination Chamber and earned a title shot all in the matter of weeks. A new Swagger had been born.
If the WWE opts to not suspend Swagger or hold off on any judgment until after WrestleMania, they will look weak. It would almost be like they’re promoting the opposite of the Wellness Policy.
With a roster that’s full of money-drawing names, I’m sure certain wrestlers are given exceptions. It’s doubtful that the WWE would publicly suspend The Rock, Undertaker, John Cena or Triple H. Those are huge names who will have marquee fights at WrestleMania if they so choose.
Swagger is not a big enough name where the WWE can sweep this to the side. Plus, right after TMZ broke the story it went public quickly in the wrestling circle.
There’s time to fix this curveball. The WWE can create some sort of storyline that gets Swagger off of TV while he serves a needed suspension. That’s the magic of the wrestling business, things can change easily.
Since the Swagger vs. Alberto del Rio match hasn’t had time to be promoted, it’s not a major loss for the WWE. This whole scenario effects Swagger the most as his future is definitely in question.
The ball is now in the WWE’s court to make the right call. A suspension is in order, as Swagger broke the rules and must pay the piper.
If the WWE is going to promote the Wellness Policy as them doing their job to maintain the health of their wrestlers, Swagger should be looking at another break in his schedule.

What do you think the WWE should do about the Swagger situation?

bigdaddybaughman
02-26-2013, 03:12 PM
Fire him he knows the position he was in. He just left a smackdown taping so the question is was he high in the ring or right after. There is still time to pick another main event for the world title and besides the way it looks who wins won't matter ziggler will cash in and win anyway.

Darth Fozzy
02-26-2013, 11:03 PM
Part of their policy is that rather than suspend him they can have him appear on television but off house shows or they can not pay him for the 30 days I believe, someone correct me if I'm wrong.