PDA

View Full Version : Takanori Gomi eyeing title run, plans special surprise for UFC on FUEL TV 8

Konan
02-28-2013, 12:15 PM
TOKYO – After a difficult 1-3 stretch in the octagon, Japanese MMA legend Takanori Gomi (34-8 MMA, 3-3 UFC) has earned back-to-back wins and is once again thinking about a run at the UFC's lightweight belt. That process continues this weekend, and Gomi promises he'll surprise even his most loyal fans.

"I think it's going to be a good fight," Gomi said through an interpreter. "I know I should be very prepared, and I actually have a surprise waiting for you for the match. I just came up with it yesterday at practice."

Gomi declined to give specifics on his surprise. Whether it's an extravagant walk-in trick, some new technique or perhaps even a flamboyant victory celebration simply remains a mystery for the time being. But fans of "The Fireball Kid" should be on high alert.

Gomi, of course, meets Diego Sanchez (23-5 MMA, 12-5 UFC) on the main card of this weekend's UFC on FUEL TV 8 event, which takes place Sunday morning at Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan, and airs in the U.S. on Saturday night due to the time difference. Returning to lightweight for the first time since 2010, Sanchez is a heavy betting favorite in the bout.

But fighting in Asia for his third-straight UFC appearance, Gomi will unquestionably be the crowd favorite, and he knows that status comes with some responsibility.

He also believes a 155-pound Sanchez provides a different foe than what he has show recently in the 170-pound division.

"When he was heavier, I think his attacks had more of an impact," Gomi told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "Because he's at a lighter weight, I expect him to focus more on the boxing aspect of the fight.

"But I realize he is very tall, and I think he's motivated. There's nothing for me to hold back in order to have a good fight with him."

Both athletes have proven throughout their lengthy careers that they are capable of delivering memorable, crowd-pleasing performances. But after struggling through a few disappointing losses, Gomi is on the mend. It's no longer just about bringing the fans to their feet – this could be the start of something special.

"I think this is a very special match for me, as well, especially as far as me trying to achieve the title," Gomi said. "I think it's pretty obvious that I have to take advantage of this opportunity."

And, of course, implementing his new surprise.

"It's nothing extravagant, but because it's my home country, I think the best thing I can do is whatever I do the best," Gomi said. "I'll just do my best, and I hope to have a good fight.

"Like I said, in order to achieve the title, I think I have to have a good fight and good win on Sunday. I think to win this match would be a good start."