PDA

View Full Version : Backlash to Steve Irwins death - Dead stingrays

LionDen
09-17-2006, 02:18 PM
I am not much of an OT poster lol but I found this interesting, thought some of you might to.

In the wake of Irwin's death, at least ten stingrays were found dead and mutilated on the beaches of Queensland, prompting some speculation that the killings were done as revenge by fans of Irwin. Two stingrays were found near Brisbane, whilst eight were found elsewhere. The tails of the stingrays had been cut off. Wayne Sumpton of the state fisheries department said that fishermen who inadvertently capture stingrays sometimes cut off their tails to avoid being stung, but that the practice was "uncommon". Michael Hornby, the executive director of Irwin's conservation group Wildlife Warriors, said he was concerned the rays were being hunted and killed in retaliation for the TV star's death. He said killing stingrays was "not what Steve was about."

Credit: Wikipedia

I have to agree, that wasn't what he was about, this was an unfortunate accident to him and I am sure he wouldn't want this.

Posted '*TV* Steve Irwin - A tribute 1962 to 2006' in media and can be found Here (http://www.uowforums.com/showthread.php?t=21864)

shakie
09-17-2006, 02:22 PM
agreed. its the opposite of what irwin was. so all i gotta say to those people:

your nuts.
your killing the stingray population little by little
and i hope you go to jail for animal cruelty

Swinny
09-17-2006, 07:24 PM
This is fucking stupid. Yes, he was killed by a stingray, but what good is it going to do going around killing stingrays? Stingray deaths are very uncommon, and Steve just happened to be very unlucky for what happened to him, but I can guarentee he would want people to get 'vengence' by killing stingrays, they don't deserve it.

Kaz
09-18-2006, 11:09 AM
Its soo sad! The things people do in Anger! Especially since they're doing something that is so completely the opposite of what Steve would do. Steve would probably want to congratulate the ray or something.

LionDen
09-18-2006, 03:40 PM
Well, maybe not congragulate it, i mean, it did actually put a very large sting right into his chest, he might say something like ... "Crikey, look what you did, I know it wasn't your fault but crikey, you stupid son of a *****" ... well, maybe something like that.

The Hammer
09-18-2006, 06:39 PM
This is very unfortunate. Mr Irwin lovednature to my knowledge and knew he was risking his life alot. I think he would be turning over in his grave.

Kaz
09-19-2006, 06:21 AM
Well, maybe not congragulate it, i mean, it did actually put a very large sting right into his chest, he might say something like ... "Crikey, look what you did, I know it wasn't your fault but crikey, you stupid son of a *****" ... well, maybe something like that.

Maybe congratulations was the wrong word but there is footage of him being asked if he's met his match and Steve replying 'I'll meet my match when I die' so what I was trying to get at was that he'd be like congrats I've met my match you're too good for me. sorta thing.