PDA

View Full Version : Revealed: Facebook creator's 'first' social media site.

ClayMation
04-05-2013, 02:53 AM
A website which is thought to have been created by Mark Zuckerberg, the Facebook founder, when he was just 15 years old has been discovered on the internet.

It contains various programs and applets allegedly created by the teenager, one of which, "The Web", appears to be an early model of a social networking site. Zuckerberg is said to have created the site in 1999, while he was still in high school.

Evidence of his youth may lie in the "About Me" section, where he first acknowledges one of his heroes, rapper Eminem, by claiming "my name is...Slim Shady. No, really, my name is Slim Shady", before conceding "Just kidding, my name is Mark".

He goes on to explain that the site is a way to promote his new AOL program, "The Vader Fader".

Although social networking may not have been the primary aim of the website, Zuckerberg seems to have recognised its potential even from this early stage. He says "As of now, the web is pretty small. Hopefully, it will grow into a larger web."

The early network has just a few dozen members, compared with over a billion who reportedly use Facebook today. "The Web" required people to email Zuckerberg himself to be linked to someone already on the network, where they could then be connected to two more people.

Other applets on the site include games, a program for calculating your Grade Point Average, and a molecule viewer, which Zuckerberg explained he wants to improve when he has learnt the molecules' true shapes "next year in chemistry".

The site was discovered by a user of social news website Hacker News.

Claims that it was created by a young Zuckerberg seem to be genuine, as it lists Mark Zuckerberg as its creator, as well as including an email account belonging to Mark's father, Dr Edward Zuckerberg.

- The Telegraph