PDA

View Full Version : Johny Hendricks: GSP Should Vacate Title If Fighting Anderson Silva

LG
04-20-2013, 03:04 AM
Source: MMAJunkie

Johny Hendricks believes UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre should vacate his title if he decides to face Anderson Silva instead of the No. 1 contender.
UFC president Dana White made it known earlier this week that if GSP asked for a super-fight with the UFC middleweight champion, it would be difficult to pair St-Pierre with Hendricks instead.

Well, "Bigg Rigg" made it known how he feels on the matter during an appearance on MMAjunkie.com Radio Friday. Hendricks was previously passed over for Nick Diaz earlier this year.

"If he wants to go to 185 then by all means, go to 185 and fight Anderson Silva," he said. "Yes, it would be a great thing for our sport. But I want the belt. I'd like to fight GSP for it, but if that doesn't happen, I'm not going to hang my head and say, 'Oh man, I'm going to be fighting that guy for the belt.'"

Hendricks added that he hasn't been too focused on a possible GSP match because "he hasn't sent me that bout agreement." Following a win over Martin Kampmann last year, he was viewed as the top contender.

Instead of meeting the champion, though, Hendricks fought - and defeated - Carlos Condit, while St-Pierre toppled Diaz.