PDA

View Full Version : Nine Evil Ways Stores Trick You Into Spending Money

OMEN
09-19-2006, 07:59 AM
Pretty much everyone in this country is carrying credit card debt. . . that's a fact. Well, in classic American fashion, I'm about to tell you what you want to hear: It's NOT your fault.

At least. . . not ENTIRELY. Here are nine DEVIOUS tricks that stores use to trick you into making BIG impulse buys and spending more money than you want to.

1. SUPERMARKET TILES
Some grocery stores will put slightly SMALLER TILES on the floor in their aisles that have the most expensive stuff. Why? The smaller tiles make your shopping cart wheels "click" faster as it rolls across them. Subconsciously, that makes you think you're going faster, so you'll slow down your pace. . . and spend more time in the aisle.

2. MIRRORS
We're all really vain. When you walk by a mirror in a store, you stop and check yourself out. So stores will put mirrors near items they want you to buy, knowing you'll stop there. . . and if the item is sunglasses or something, you'll try them on.

3. BABY POWDER
Some clothing stores will add a hint of BABY POWDER to their air conditioning. That smell is VERY relaxing and makes you happy. . . putting you into more of a buying mindset.

4. 95-CENT PRICING
Ever wondered why stores ALWAYS make things $4.95instead of $5??? It's because our brains are less likely to ROUND UP than to just look at the first number. So, something that's $4.95 seems MUCH cheaper than something that's $5.

5. POWER DISPLAYS
You know how when you walk into the Gap there's a big display of clothes RIGHT in your path??? That's on purpose: It's a barrier to slow you down. . . and it makes you steer right into the clothes and start shopping earlier.

6. MESSY DISPLAYS
We're less likely to root through clothing that's nicely folded. So, stores will leave their displays a little messy, to encourage people to sift through for their size. It also gives the illusion that the product is POPULAR. . . which appeals to the sheeple.

7. A DISPLAY TO THE RIGHT
The overwhelming majority of people enter a store and turn RIGHT. No one knows why. But stores know about the phenomenon, so they'll put an item they want to move just to the right of their entrance.

8. WOULD YOU LIKE FRIES WITH THAT?
If an employee asks a customer to upgrade, like "Would you like fries with that?" or "Need batteries with that?". . . 47% will say YES.

9. SALE IN THE BACK
The things you want most in a store. . . sale items and dressing rooms. . . are almost always positioned in the BACK. . . so you have to walk past ALL the other merchandise to get to them. (Architectural Psychology Services)

ZM.NZ

The Hammer
09-19-2006, 02:07 PM
Intresting read. Although I worked at J.C. Penneys for a number of years and they would have killed me if one of my displays was messy lol.

Jodes
09-19-2006, 05:24 PM
Intresting read. Although I worked at J.C. Penneys for a number of years and they would have killed me if one of my displays was messy lol.

same with my mom she works at a very awesome store here and we were there the other day looking for clothes for austin. i was looking for his size and just put it back unfolded. she took it from me and said damn it Jody Lee we cant have messy displays lol