PDA

View Full Version : Daniel Cormier, ONE FC, Ricardo Mayorga – The Morning News Roundup 5.6.13

LG
05-06-2013, 05:18 PM
Happy Monday, everyone. Okay, not really; I doubt I'm the only one who enjoyed Cinco de Mayo just a little too much. But alas, we must soldier on, as there's plenty of MMA news to catch up on from over the weekend. We've got an update on heavyweight contender Daniel Cormier, the next ONE FC event, rumblings on a few upcoming UFC fights, and the long-awaited MMA debut of former boxing champion Ricardo Mayorga (yes, seriously). So pop a couple of aspirin and check out today's headlines:
•Cormier says he's content to stay in the UFC heavyweight division, at least for now. Cormier improved to 12-0 with his last win over Frank Mir but a match against UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez is seemingly out of the question, since the two are training partners. Many would like to see Cormier move down in weight and challenge UFC light-heavyweight champion Jon "Bones" Jones, but it doesn't look like that will be happening any time soon.

•ONE FC has a new event promo for their planned May 31 card. I am definitely a ONE fan and hope they continue to have success as a promotion.

•A bevy of info on some impending UFC action. The cards are set for the next FOX and FX events, plus a just announced Matt Brown vs Thiago Alves showdown for the Fox Sports 1 card. It looks like we've got plenty of great fights to look forward to over the next several weeks.

•Mayorga managed to come away with a victory on a card in his home country of Nicaragua. The fight is surprisingly decent but ends under bizarre circumstances. Check it out if you've got the time, it's worth a watch.

fightline