PDA

View Full Version : Jon Jones Talks Floyd Mayweather Fight, Says 'Don't Mess With An MMA Fighter'

LG
05-09-2013, 05:21 PM
Source: Power 105.1

While appearing on Power 105.1 recently, UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones was asked about fighting boxing champion Floyd Mayweather.
Jones, currently on the sidelines recovering from a toe injury, made no bones about what he would do vs. Mayweather inside the Octagon.

"To be honest with you, if it was all hands, it would probably be a pretty competitive match," Jones said. "But that's not fighting. You can't be at the bar and be like, 'Alright, no kicking, no taking me down, don't stretch my shirt out.' It's not like that.

"What I do, I consider it to be the true art of fighting. Fighting Floyd Mayweather wouldn't even be right. Nobody would want to see that. James Toney did it about two years ago, he lost in the first round. Don't mess with an MMA fighter. You don't want to do that."

Jones tied Tito Ortiz with his fifth successful title defense by finishing Chael Sonnen last month in the first round.

Before you get your hopes up of Jones-Mayweather taking place, realize "Money" is just 5-foot-8 and 150 pounds, while Jones is 6-4 and 220. Plus, "Bones" would have a 12-inch reach advantage.

muzi
05-11-2013, 09:15 PM
Jone's right here - you cannot compare apples and oranges. A boxer needs a stable position which isn't that necessary in MMA...
so I go with Jones: don't mess with a high profile MMA fighter

Embrace Thou Upton
05-12-2013, 01:13 AM
Yeah in an MMA fight Jones would win easy, in a boxing fight though ignoring the size difference it'd be all Floyd. The skill level gap between the two sports is huge. 99% of MMArtists just know how to throw a puncjh and as Freddie Roach has pointed out with Shogun alot of them even elite MMA strikers cant do that. Theres no angles, footwork, circling, etc. in MMA just brawling.

And MMA isn't pure fighting either, too many rules for that. In a fight someone can just kick you in the nuts.

the madscotsman
05-12-2013, 12:01 PM
Yeah in an MMA fight Jones would win easy, in a boxing fight though ignoring the size difference it'd be all Floyd. The skill level gap between the two sports is huge. 99% of MMArtists just know how to throw a puncjh and as Freddie Roach has pointed out with Shogun alot of them even elite MMA strikers cant do that. Theres no angles, footwork, circling, etc. in MMA just brawling.

And MMA isn't pure fighting either, too many rules for that. In a fight someone can just kick you in the nuts.

ETU's school of mma.