PDA

View Full Version : Antonio Silva Embraces Underdog Role Ahead Of UFC Title Fight

LG
05-15-2013, 02:33 AM
Antonio Silva doesn't lack any confidence in his skills. In fact, the man known as "Bigfoot" is so sure of himself, the doubters don't bother him at all.
Silva, the decided underdog going into next Saturday's UFC heavyweight title fight with Cain Velasquez, is embracing the role thrust upon him.

"I like when people underestimate me," said Silva, during a conference call with reporters on Tuesday. "I get to shoe them they are wrong. There are no superheroes in this sport. Nobody is invincible."

Silva (18-4) is coming off a finish of Alistair Overeem in a bout that vaulted him into the No. 1 contender spot. In his UFC debut back in 2012, Silva was defeated by Velasquez in the first round via TKO.

"I have a lot of respect for Cain Velasquez," he said. "I respect him as a person, but I am confident in myself. I feel very good going into this fight."

Silva added that he knows speed will not be in his corner come fight night, saying, "I'd have to be re-born to be faster than Cain Velasquez," but he knows with one landed punch, the fight can be over in a matter of seconds.

"In our first fight, I was nervous and anxious. I've replaced those emotions with calm and driven," Silva said. "I've got 30 pounds on him. He's going to be faster than me, but I have to work with what I have. What I have is very heavy hands.

"The first punch I land, he's going to go down."

fightline