PDA

View Full Version : Steve Smith to retire

jayisthagame
05-30-2013, 07:50 AM
Credit: Fox Sports

Tampa Bay Buccaneers wide receiver Steve Smith has decided to retire, the team announced Wednesday.

Smith, signed by the Bucs to a one-year deal in April as an unrestricted free agent, was a member of the New York Giants’ Super Bowl XLII championship team that ended the New England Patriots’ undefeated season.

His best campaign came in 2009, when he earned his only Pro Bowl appearance after totaling 107 receptions (a Giants single-season record) and 1,220 yards receiving.

He caught only 14 passes for 131 yards and no touchdowns for St. Louis in 2012.

Smith, a second-round pick by the Giants out of USC in 2007, ends his career with 245 receptions for 2,641 yards and 12 touchdowns. He left for the Philadelphia Eagles after the 2010 season and spent one year there before joining the St. Louis Rams because last season. He played in 64 games, with 29 starts.

“I’ve been blessed to play the game that I love at the highest level for the past six years,” Smith said in a statement. “I will always cherish my time with the New York Giants and our Super Bowl victory in 2007. I also want to thank the Philadelphia Eagles, St. Louis Rams and Tampa Bay Buccaneers organizations for the opportunities they gave me. This was not an easy decision, but it’s the right decision for me at this time.”