PDA

View Full Version : Robin van Persie likely to miss Manchester United's clash with Liverpool

dope2
09-24-2013, 04:59 PM
Robin van Persie is set to miss Manchester United's Capital One Cup clash with Liverpool on Wednesday but has an outside chance of returning this weekend.

Van Persie was a surprise absentee from the United team that was thrashed 4-1 by Manchester City on Sunday and it was revealed later he was struggling with a groin injury.

Boss David Moyes addressed the Van Persie question at his press conference before the Old Trafford clash, the highlight of the third round ties.

He said: "I don't think he will play on Wednesday. He will have an outside chance for Saturday (home to West Brom)."

v
Live Capital One Cup Football
Man Utd vs Liverpool

September 25, 2013, 7:00pm
Sky Sports 2 HD

Remote Record

Get a Sky Sports Day Pass
Upgrade to Sky Sports

Moyes admitted Wednesday's game takes on added significance - if it was needed - on the back of their heavy defeat at the Etihad Stadium and although changes are likely, they might not mean the inclusion of too many young players.

"It (Sunday) has gone now," he said. "I can't do anything about it. We have moved on and we get ready for the next game.

"When you have been a football manager for the amount of time I have you are always going to have shocks.

"I have had lots and I have no doubt there will be more in the future. That is the way football is."

"We have moved on and we get ready for the next game."

David Moyes

The game also marks the return of Liverpool striker Luis Suarez after a 10-match ban for biting Chelsea defender Branislav Ivanovic, but Moyes would not be drawn on his return.

"It means Liverpool have got a really good player," said Moyes. "Does it change the complexion (of the game)? I am not looking at Liverpool too much. I just know the qualities of Luis Suarez are very good."

Source: Sky Sports

the madscotsman
09-24-2013, 06:49 PM
I wish they would give Hernandez a chance. I'm not a United fan but I'm a big fan of his. and I think he's the best finisher in the league.