PDA

View Full Version : Kelvin Gastelum on his hopes for the future

the madscotsman
11-05-2013, 03:24 PM
Even though Kelvin Gastelum has a fight with Court McGee scheduled for next month, "The Ultimate Fighter" season 17 winner can't help but think ahead to the future.

By no means is Gastelum (7-0 MMA, 2-0 UFC) overlooking McGee (16-3 MMA, 5-2 UFC), but with a victory on Dec. 14 at UFC on FOX 9, the 22-year-old thinks he is ready for a big push toward the top.

"I just want to get some high profile fights,"Gastelum told MMAjunkie.com. "When I win, I want maybe a top-20, top-15 guy. I like to challenge myself."

Thus far, Gastelum hasn't faced too much challenge inside the octagon. The undefeated fighter blew through the competition on "TUF" and has continued to impress with back-to-back wins in the UFC.

With Gastelum's career continuing to build momentum, he was recently brought in to help UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre prepare for his upcoming UFC 167 title defense against Johny Hendricks.

The Arizona native is aware few fighters have the privilege of training with "GSP," and the fact he was selected to participate only bolsters his confidence.

"[Georges] requested to have me brought up here, and I'm here and I couldn't be any happier." Gastelum said. "I've seen him fight since I was 16, 17 years old, and to train with him is an honor."

With the talent potential to one day become a serious player in the UFC's welterweight division, Gastelum hopes he'll be a trailblazer for the sport as it grows around the world.

The UFC is planning to make its debut in Mexico in the coming months, and considering Gastelum's Latino background, he would like nothing more than to have a meaningful fight at the inevitable event.

"Hopefully we can get a card going in Mexico by next year," Gastelum said. "I would want a big fight in Mexico."

Even though he has major hopes and dreams for the future, Gastelum's sole focus at this point is defeating McGee, who is one of the most durable athletes in the sport and has not been finished by knockout or submission in 19 professional fights.

McGee is another "TUF" winner, which means the matchup will mark the 10th time in company history two winners of the show have squared off.

Gastelum views McGee's grittiness as something to overcome when the cage door closes, but with that said, he full intends to be the first to stop "The Crusher" inside the distance and take another step toward fulfilling his career goals.

"I'm going to be training for a 15-minute war, but hopefully I can finish him in the first round," Gastelum said. "We'll find out who the real 'TUF' guy is."

UFC on FOX 9 takes place at Sleep Train Arena in Sacramento, Calif. The evening's four-fight main card airs on FOX. Eight preliminary bouts, including Gastelum vs. McGee, air on FOX Sports 1 and stream on MMAjunkie.com.