PDA

View Full Version : Breaking News ! Ultimate warrior passes away !

Slayer_X
04-09-2014, 05:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior passes away

BY WWE.com Staff

Page 1 of 1

April 08, 2014

http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r569/Slayer1971/AP_Ultimate_Warrior_140409_DG_16x9_992.jpg (http://s1172.photobucket.com/user/Slayer1971/media/AP_Ultimate_Warrior_140409_DG_16x9_992.jpg.html)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR08M6EUd0g

WWE is shocked and deeply saddened to learn of the passing of one of the most iconic WWE Superstars ever, The Ultimate Warrior. Warrior began his WWE career in 1987 and quickly went on to become one of the biggest stars in WWE history. Warrior became WWE Champion at WrestleMania VI, defeating Hulk Hogan in an epic encounter. We are grateful that just days ago, Warrior had the opportunity to take his rightful place in the WWE Hall of Fame and was also able to appear at WrestleMania 30 and Monday Night Raw to address his legions of fans. WWE sends its sincere condolences to Warrior’s family, friends and fans. Warrior was 54 and is survived by his wife Dana and his two daughters.

That's straight from wwe.com .- Slayer_x

UPDATE:
9:52 PM PT -- Officials tell TMZ ... Warrior collapsed outside an Arizona hotel at 5:50 PM on April 8th ... while walking to his car with his wife.

Warrior was transported to a nearby hospital ... where he was pronounced dead.

Travicity
04-09-2014, 05:20 AM
WHAT!? This makes no fucking sense.

Rob
04-09-2014, 05:21 AM
OH MY FUCKING GOD

Y0UR Messiah
04-09-2014, 05:25 AM
I found out when HHH posted it on his twitter and found it on the WWE Website...fucking trippy.

Rob
04-09-2014, 05:55 AM
FROM ABC NEWS:

The Ultimate Warrior, one of professional wrestling’s biggest superstars, has died at 54, just days after being inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame, WWE officials confirmed in a statement.

“WWE is shocked and deeply saddened to learn of the passing of one of the most iconic WWE Superstars ever, The Ultimate Warrior,” a statement reads.

Warrior – who was born James Brian Hellwig – began his career in 1987. He defeated Hulk Hogan at WrestleMania VI to become WWE Champion.

The Hall of Fame induction marked his return to WWE after an 18-year absence. During his Hall of Fame speech, he announced that he signed a new multi-year deal with WWE, serving as an official ambassador.

During Monday's episode of WWE Raw, he slipped on his mask, embracing his character a final time, his words full of heart and poignancy.

"No WWE talent becomes a legend on their own," he said. "Every man's heart one day beats its final beat. His lungs breathe their final breath. And if what that man did in his life makes the blood pulse through the body of others and makes them bleed deeper in something that's larger than life, then his essence, his spirit, will be immortalized by the storytellers -- by the loyalty, by the memory of those who honor him, and make the running the mad did live forever.

You, you, you, you, you," he said, pointing to the fans, "are the legend-makers of Ultimate Warrior."

The wrestler is survived by his wife Dana and two daughters.

News of his death was met with sadness and shock online.

Rob
04-09-2014, 06:13 AM
MIAMI HERALD

World Wrestling Entertainment announced on its web site late Tuesday night the death of James Brian Hellwig, 54, better known as newly inducted WWE Hall of Famer The Ultimate Warrior.

“WWE is shocked and deeply saddened to learn of the passing of one of the most iconic WWE Superstars ever, The Ultimate Warrior," the statement reads. "Warrior began his WWE career in 1987 and quickly went on to become one of the biggest stars in WWE history. Warrior became WWE Champion at WrestleMania VI, defeating Hulk Hogan in an epic encounter. We are grateful that just days ago, Warrior had the opportunity to take his rightful place in the WWE Hall of Fame and was also able to appear at WrestleMania 30 and Monday Night Raw to address his legions of fans. WWE sends its sincere condolences to Warrior’s family, friends and fans. Warrior was 54 and is survived by his wife, Dana, and his two daughters.

More on Warrior

The Ultimate Warrior was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame on Saturday, April 5 at the Smoothie King Center in New Orleans. He was acknowledged for the honor during WrestleMania 30 the following night at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome.

During WWE Monday Night Raw on April 7, Warrior returned to the Smoothie King Center where he addressed fans, thanking them for making him a WWE Hall of Famer and someone who will always be remembered. Raw is broadcast live each Monday on the USA Network.

His death came as a shock. No details were given as to the cause.

Twitter response

WWE Hall of Famer Rowdy Roddy Piper: “Tomorrow is promised to know one!! Enjoy every second, with a tool called love!! My love to The Warrior and family. RIP.”

WWE superstar Titus O’Neil: “Very disappointed 2hear of the passing of @ WWE HOF # ultimatewarrior my Kids just met him this weekend&I enjoyed meeting his family. # Wow”

WWE sup[erstar Xavier Woods: “Can't believe the news about @ UltimateWarrior this is unreal.”

WWE referee Jason Ayers: “Absolutely shocked at the sudden passing of @ UltimateWarrior - a true legend of our industry. Rest in peace, Warrior.”

TNA Wrestler Austin Aries: “I am in disbelief...there are no words. Prayers to his family and friends. # RIPUltimateWarrior”

Former WWE referee Jimmy Korderas: “Shocked & saddened by the news the Ultimate Warrior has passed away. Sincere & deepest sympathy to his family! RIP”

Trademark629: “Inducted into the Hall of Fame, got a segment on Raw, got to see the fans and made his peace with WWE. No better way to go.”

Wrestling Writer Scott Fishman, who covered the WWE Hall of Fame, WrestleMania 30 and Raw: “I can't believe 24 hours ago the Ultimate Warrior was on # Raw. Was such a special moment. Tragedy. # WWE # RIPWARRIOR pic.twitter.com/zXftbAeNAD”

Slayer_X
04-09-2014, 06:15 AM
Wow !

the madscotsman
04-09-2014, 07:40 AM
I loved his speach on raw. This is so sad.

Rob
04-09-2014, 10:21 AM
USA TODAY:

Days after his induction into the WWE Hall of Fame and a return to the company after an 18-year breakup, The Ultimate Warrior has died, according to a statement posted on the WWE website. He was 54.

The news, posted late Tuesday night, led to a flood of tributes from fans and WWE performers and officials.

In the statement, the company said, "WWE is shocked and deeply saddened to learn of the passing of one of the most iconic WWE superstars ever, The Ultimate Warrior. …

"We are grateful just days ago, Warrior had the opportunity to take his rightful place in the WWE Hall of Fame and was able to appear at WrestleMania 30 and Monday Night Raw to address his legions of fans. WWE sends its sincere condolences to Warrior's family, friends and fans."

Warrior was known for his energetic style, sprinting down the aisle to the ring; violent shaking of the ropes to psych himself up; and unique interview style that left fans captivated or confused, and often both.

Warrior was born James Brian Hellwig, but legally changed his name to Warrior in 1993. He is survived by his wife Dana and daughters Indiana and Mattigan, who had accompanied him to the podium at the Hall of Fame induction ceremony Saturday night in New Orleans.

"We are all so sad that the Ultimate Warrior has passed away," WWE chairman Vince McMahon tweeted.

Tweeted Stephanie McMahon, WWE's chief brand officer, "Your strength of character is to be admired. There will never be anyone like you. Your spirit lives on in your family."

In his final public appearance Monday night, Warrior donned the long jacket with his image airbrushed on the back, similar to what he wore during his wrestling days, and put on a mask that looked like his trademark face paint. It was his first appearance on Raw since 1996.

"No WWE talent becomes a legend on their own," he told the crowd. "Every man's heart one day beats its final beat. His lungs breathe their final breath. And if what that man did in his life makes the blood pulse through the body of others and makes them believe deeper in something that's larger than life, then his essence, his spirit, will be immortalized by the storytellers -- by the loyalty, by the memory of those who honor him, and make the running the man did live forever.

"I am the Ultimate Warrior, you are the Ultimate Warrior fans and the spirit of the Ultimate Warrior will run forever."

The weekend events were a homecoming for Warrior with the WWE and a chance for fans to embrace him.

"So happy I embraced Warrior with a hug when we saw each other backstage Saturday night," Kevin Nash tweeted. "My heart goes out to his family. Always Believe."

Tweeted Dave Bautista, "After all these years I finally got 2 tell him that me shaking the ropes was an homage 2 him. Blessed to have had that moment."

During his Hall of Fame speech, he credited WWE executive vice president Paul Levesque, a k a Triple H, for helping repair a relationship that had gone sour between Warrior and the WWE. Stephanie McMahon had tweeted a photo of her father and Warrior in an embrace Monday with the caption, "Never say never."

Warrior also had announced a multi-year arrangement to become an ambassador for the company.

WWE released a DVD in 2005 called "The Self-Destruction of the Ultimate Warrior" that featured negative comments about the Warrior's work and persona from WWE officials and other performers. The Warrior was not part of the DVD and its release followed previous contract disputes and litigation between WWE and Warrior. During his Hall speech, Warrior made reference several times to the DVD and said it was "just wrong" and "I wasn't a bad guy." The DVD led to another lawsuit.

Among the points of contention between Warrior and the WWE was who owned the name and likeness associated with the character.

In a new DVD released last week, "The Ultimate Warrior: The Ultimate Collection," Warrior says why he thought the previous DVD was flawed and goes on to highlight his start in the wrestling business and provide commentary on some of his best matches.

Warrior began his wrestling career as part of a group of bodybuilders-turned-wrestlers in Southern California. His early career was marked by his work in a tag team known as the Blade Runners with Steve Borden, who would later become Sting. Warrior was known as Blade Runner Rock and Borden as Blade Runner Flash.

His use of the Warrior name came in the Texas-based World Class Championship Wrestling where he worked as the Dingo Warrior and was billed as being from Queens, N.Y.

Warrior came to the then-WWF in 1987 and was re-branded as The Ultimate Warrior. He won his first Intercontinental title from the Honky Tonk Man in a match that lasted less than a minute at the first Summer Slam in 1988. He would lose the title to Ravishing Rick Rude and then regain it at Sumer Slam in 1989.

He was still the champion leading into the main event match at WrestleMania VI in Toronto in 1990, which might be the highlight of his career. The bout against Hulk Hogan -- billed as "The Ultimate Challenge" -- was for Hogan's WWF title and Warrior's Intercontinental title.

Warrior won the match and was embraced and presented with the WWF title belt by Hogan afterward, in a passing of the torch from the biggest star of the 1980s to one of the biggest stars of the 1990s.

"RIP WARRIOR. only love. HH," Hogan tweeted Tuesday night. Hogan had said over the weekend that he hoped to mend some fences with the Warrior and lauded the Warrior's Hall of Fame speech.

Warrior would leave the WWE twice and then return before an ill-fated and brief stint in World Championship Wrestling in the late 1990s.

After retirement, he worked as a motivational speaker.

"Devastated to hear of the passing of UltimateWarrior," former wrestler Chris Jericho tweeted. "He was a childhood hero of mine & he vs hulkhogan WM6 is still one of the best ever."

Rob
04-09-2014, 10:22 AM
REUTERS:

(Reuters) - The Ultimate Warrior, one of U.S. professional wrestling's most celebrated names, has died at the age of 54, days after being inducted into the World Wrestling Entertainment Inc Hall of Fame, the company said late on Tuesday.

"WWE is shocked and deeply saddened to learn of the passing of one of the most iconic WWE Superstars ever, The Ultimate Warrior," the Stamford, Connecticut-based company said on its website.

The Ultimate Warrior, whose given name was James Hellwig, began his WWE career in 1987 and rose to become one of the biggest stars in WWE history, the company said, highlighting an "epic encounter" in which he defeated Hulk Hogan at WrestleMania VI to become a WWE Champion.

The cause of his death was not given. He was added to the Hall of Fame on April 5.

"We are grateful that just days ago, Warrior had the opportunity to take his rightful place in the WWE Hall of Fame and was also able to appear at WrestleMania 30 and Monday Night Raw to address his legions of fans," World Wrestling Entertainment said.

The 6-foot, 2-inch tall, 280-pound (127 kg) wrestler commanded the ring in his signature neon garb and long, blond hair, and face paint, WWE said.

His family could not immediately be reached, and an email sent through his website was not immediately answered.

In a statement on his website peppered with sarcasm, Hellwig expounded on philosophy and funneling energy from the ring into writing, motivational speaking, and his family life after retiring in the late 1990s.

"Ultimate Warrior ran because I was running him. He was intense because I already was. Whatever I am doing - wrestling, writing, working out, speaking, even weaving pot holders - I am going to do it with action and intensity," Hellwig wrote.

"I have built an incredibly empowered life on my OWN terms. As a devoted husband and father, I could not have custom-ordered a more loving, healthy, spirit-filled, and happy home life," he wrote.

Fans, supporters and wrestlers took to the internet to express their respect for the wrestler, who is survived by his wife Dana and his two daughters, WWE said.

"Shocked and very saddened to hear about Ultimate Warrior passing. Prayers go out to his family! RIP. Loss for words," wrestler Curtis wrote in a Twitter message.

"RIP WARRIOR. only love. HH," Hulk Hogan Tweeted.

"Tomorrow is promised to know one!!" fellow Hall of Famer Rowdy Roddy Piper Tweeted. "My love to The Warrior and family.

RIP."

"Icon and friend," WWE Chief Operating Officer Triple H wrote in a Twitter message.

(Reporting by Eric M. Johnson in Seattle; Editing by Robert Birsel)

Role Model
04-09-2014, 11:14 AM
Completely shocked...Savage and now him. RIP Warrior...The world of wrestling loses yet another one too early. I'm glad he seemed to have made peace with his life with getting inducted and coming back onto RAW. Least he left with dropping a solid promo on RAW and knowing he was a HOFer.

LG
04-09-2014, 12:03 PM
I just woke up after a long nap to this. I am completely shocked beyond words right now

LG
04-09-2014, 12:11 PM
Vince McMahon tweeted the following about The Ultimate Warrior's death:

"We are all so sad that the Ultimate Warrior has passed away. Our heart is with his wife Dana and his two daughters."

Many in the industry have taken to their Twitter accounts to comment on the Warrior's passing:
Triple H: "Saddened to announce the passing of the Ultimate Warrior. Icon and friend. My sympathy to his wife Dana and his daughters"

Stephanie McMahon: "#RIPUltimateWarrior Your strength of character is to be admired. There will never be anyone like you. Your spirit lives on in your family."

Bad News Barrett: "Truly awful news about The Ultimate Warrior's passing. Thoughts go out to his family. RIP."

Jim Ross: "Sad to pass along the news that the Ultimate Warrior has died. Condolences to his wife & two, young daughters. RIP Warrior"

Hulk Hogan: "RIP WARRIOR. only love. HH"

Kevin Nash: "So happy I embraced Warrior with a hug when we saw each other backstage Saturday night.My heart goes out to his family.Always Believe."

Hornswoggle: "This is absolutely horrific news. After just meeting my hero yesterday,finding out about UltimateWarrior passing is unbelievable.Speechless"

Gregory Shane Helms: "The wrestling world has lost another legend. RIP ULTIMATE WARRIOR. Dammit."

Austin Aries: "WTF?! Really!? #Warrior"

Nattie: "Thoughts and prayers go out to Warrior and his family. Incredibly sad to hear this news."

John Layfield: "Really saddened to hear about UltimateWarrior passing away. RIP A tremendous legend."

Curtis Axel: "Shocked and very saddened to hear about Ultimate Warrior passing. Prayers go out to his family! RIP. Loss for words..."

Zack Ryder: "I'm in shock. The Ultimate Warrior has passed away. I just met him yesterday. RIP. I'll always believe!!!"

Rowdy Roddy Piper: "Tomorrow is promised to know one!! Enjoy every second, with a tool called love!! My love to The Warrior and family. RIP"

Titus O'Neil: "Very disappointed 2hear of the passing of wwe HOF #ultimatewarrior my Kids just met him this weekend&I enjoyed meeting his family. #Wow"

We hope to have more as soon as possible. We would like to offer our condolences to Warrior's family and friends during this difficult time.

Big Evil
04-09-2014, 02:45 PM
Truly shocking. The fact that the man was just inducted, rightfully so, saying good bye to his fans and thanking them before passing only a day later. I don't know whether to feel glad that he was recognized as a true legend and Hall of Famer or deeply saddened that he had to leave us so soon after. I'm just hoping he got the peace he deserved before passing. Definitely feel for the family. Cannot fathom how it must feel to lose someone so suddenly, especially after something that must mean so much to them finally being bestowed upon him. Peace and love, Warrior, RIP

LG
04-09-2014, 03:12 PM
I wonder if there was something wrong with him. He wasn't the type to showcase any kind of weakness, and he has always portrayed himself to be strong even after his wrestling career. I could tell at the HOF, WM30 and esp on RAW, something didn't seem right.

Smartmark
04-09-2014, 03:45 PM
R.I.P

LG
04-09-2014, 04:52 PM
Details on exactly how The Ultimate Warrior passed away on Tuesday have not been released yet but below is the statement from Scottsdale police spokesman Sergeant Mark Clark, mentioning a catastrophic medical condition:

“On April 8 at 5:50 pm 54-year-old “Warrior” James B Hellwig collapsed while walking with his wife to their car at the Gainy Suites Hotel in Scottsdale, Ariz. Scottsdale Fire transported to a local hospital, where he was pronounced dead soon after arrival. At this point in the investigation, it appears as though a catastrophic medical condition caused his death.”

TMZ.com reports that Warrior was seen clutching his chest before collapsing and all signs are pointing to a “massive heart attack.” More information will be known once an autopsy is completed which is currently scheduled for Thursday.

the madscotsman
04-09-2014, 04:56 PM
I don't think I trust anything TMZ says, so I'll wait for the official C.O.D. Thanks L.G.

Rob
04-09-2014, 09:11 PM
It's very possible he could've had an undetected heart condition and the stress put on his body by lack of sleep and the exertion of WrestleMania weekend could've pushed his heart over the edge.

Rob
04-09-2014, 09:19 PM
TMZ spoke to people that were with The Ultimate Warrior during WrestleMania weekend in New Orleans and they note that he looked to be in rough shape all weekend.

They noted that he appeared to be in constant pain, sweaty and looked very uncomfortable. It was apparent to the people around him that something was seriously off. People also took notice when Warrior looked weak after doing his signature rope shake on RAW.

One of their sources said, "We all felt like he looked like he was going to blow a gasket. It was pretty easy to see."

Jess
04-09-2014, 10:19 PM
This made me cry. :(

RIP Ultimate Warrior

Kage
04-09-2014, 10:51 PM
What a way to go out though, make amends with Wwe, get inducted to the HoF (granted, that's not that big of a deal imo, but still nice) and say goodbye to the fans.

Irish Curse
04-09-2014, 11:35 PM
Just re-reading his speech on RAW in an earlier post, did Warrior prophecy his own death? I might be looking into it, but read the first couple of lines and see what I mean.

R.I.P. Ultimate Warrior. His influence has touched everyone in some way, shape or form.

Role Model
04-10-2014, 12:33 AM
I wonder if there was something wrong with him. He wasn't the type to showcase any kind of weakness, and he has always portrayed himself to be strong even after his wrestling career. I could tell at the HOF, WM30 and esp on RAW, something didn't seem right.

This is what I noticed too...glad I'm not alone on this. Agreed with pretty much every post in here RIP Ultimate Warrior...

Rob
04-10-2014, 04:01 AM
Statement from Warrior Entertainment:
I am shocked and profoundly saddened by the death of my friend Warrior. He was a great man and leaves behind a legacy that will forever live in the hearts and minds of those who knew him personally,and his legions of Ultimate Warrior fans.
My thoughts and prayers go out to Warriors beautiful family, his wife Dana and their daughters Mattigan and Indiana. No words are strong enough to express my feeling for them at this time.
I was honored to be able to spend the weekend with Warrior and his family at WrestleMania 30 and have never seen a prouder father or more loving family.
Warrior was the happiest I had ever seen him to bring Ultimate Warrior back home to WWE and share that unmistakeable passion and excitement with each and every Ultimate Warrior fan around the world.
I have lost my best friend and my hero but take comfort in knowing his legacy will live forever. I will Always Believe.
Steve Wilton
Warrior Entertainment

Rob
04-10-2014, 06:09 AM
Nancy Grace interviews DDP... leave the **** a piece of your mind.

http://www.hlntv.com/video/2014/04/09/ultimate-warrior-wwe-wrestling-icon-death

LG
04-10-2014, 03:33 PM
The Associated Press has an article up on The Ultimate Warrior's passing, with comments from Sean Waltman and Triple H. Triple H noted that Vince McMahon told Warrior this weekend, "I've always loved you. Sometimes, I didn't like you, but I always loved you."

Waltman commented on seeing Warrior in New Orleans:

"I got a sense he wasn't well. It was sad to me. He was kind of hunched over. He used to have such great posture. You just had this sense that he wasn't well. But he was in great spirits. He came up to (other wrestlers) and gave them hugs."

Triple H talked about Warrior's passing:

"We are all grateful to have had the opportunity to get the closure with him, to work to get him back on that platform. Knowing him now, there could have been no better send-off, really, for him, than that. It was everything he would have dreamed off."

Kage
04-10-2014, 06:17 PM
Nancy Grace interviews DDP... leave the **** a piece of your mind.

http://www.hlntv.com/video/2014/04/09/ultimate-warrior-wwe-wrestling-icon-death

Bad word. Unhappy. Leaving forum forever. Goobye

Rob
04-10-2014, 10:05 PM
Bad word. Unhappy. Leaving forum forever. Goobye

:asshole:

Slayer_X
04-17-2014, 07:05 PM
Former WWE wrestler Tugboat remembers Ultimate Warrior
2014-04-16 13:45:17

Under The Mat with Fred "Tugboat" Ottman Host: Evan "Tech" Prout Show airs Tuesday from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. on Available at Pwkgw.com

Fred on his memories of Ultimate Warrior: "He was a good guy, excellent and tremendous guy. He was business 100-180 percent and people loved him, he had a good heart. I did shows with him in the WWF and it’s just really sad you know he’s a young guy…he left his wife, his mom, and his precious daughters."

Fred on working with Warrior in the ring: "Me personally no I couldn’t give you any (stories of working with Warrior in the ring) I just was able to observe him at that time but I enjoyed watching his work with a multitude of different guys. When that music hits he would hit the ground running and it was a 150 percent till the end of the match."

Fred on how Warrior’s passing was different from his other friends in the business: "Well you know you got to take into effect that when he was there he was as popular and as on the same level as Hulk (Hogan) was. The people loved him, they like his look and his energy. I have mixed emotions about… I have a lot of friends and a lot of guys that all of them should be honored… we only going by a few small glimpse of wrestling history."

Fred also discuss how intense Warrior really was, hear Fred do a Dusty Rhodes impersonation of a promo for Warrior and much more in this exclusive 120-minute interview on Under the Mat Radio.