PDA

View Full Version : Buddy Landel Passes Away at age 53

Shootkick Man
06-23-2015, 01:53 AM
Nature Boy" Buddy Landel (William Ansor) reportedly died at the age of 53 on Monday.

According to the Wrestling Observer, Landel was in a car accident this past weekend, returned home from the hospital on Sunday, and did not wake up on Monday when his wife checked on him.

Landel was a major star in the 1980s and had all of the tools to be at the level of Ric Flair. However, he led a reckless lifestyle as a 20-something with "a hundred grand in the bank," prompting him to lose his position as future NWA Hvt. champion.

"They had put the whole weight of the world on my shoulders,” he told Mike Mooneyham of the Post & Courier newspaper in a 2011 interview. “I was breaking Elvis’s attendance record, selling out with the world champion every night, doing 60-minute Broadways. It was very tough and the pressure was unbelievable. I just stayed self-medicated."

After his fall from grace, Landel went through a redemption period trying to clean up his life and make amends with people he wronged when he was on top of wrestling at 23-years-old, including his family.

“I always wanted to be great in everything I did. Whether it was to be great in sports or whether it was to be a great drug taker," he said in 2011. "I became so jaded at the world. I was taught by all these veterans that everything was a work and that everything was an angle - that everyone was marks but us. You get indoctrinated into that and you get cynical. You find yourself talking carney to your wife in a car lot. You become jaded. After a period of time, when wrestling’s gone and the paychecks are gone, you become very bitter."

Landel credited his wife for keeping him alive and on the right path after his full-time wrestling career ended with one final run in 1990s WWF.

Recently, Landel appeared at WrestleCade Weekend in November 2014 in North Carolina.