PDA

View Full Version : Sacramento Kings plan to hire Nancy Lieberman as an assistant coach

Kemo
07-31-2015, 06:55 PM
The Sacramento Kings will hire Hall of Famer Nancy Lieberman as an assistant coach, as first reported by the Sacramento Bee's Ailene Voisin and confirmed by Lieberman on Thursday.

Lieberman, who was the head coach of the NBA D-League's Texas Legends from 2009 to 2011, called Thursday a "crazy, wonderful day," via USA Today's Sam Amick. On Twitter, she said she was "honored to be a Sacramento King." While the move isn't official yet, it is done. From the Sacramento Bee:

“Definitely I'm going to offer her a job,” Kings vice president Vlade Divac said Thursday. “George (Karl) and I talked about bringing her back after she helped us at Summer League (in Las Vegas). She was terrific. She brings a different dimension. I think is a nice opportunity for her.”

Lieberman said Thursday she will accept the offer. Divac said he expects to make an announcement next week.

This means the NBA will have two women working as assistant coaches next season: Lieberman and San Antonio Spurs assistant coach Becky Hammon. Earlier this month in Las Vegas, Hammon coached the Spurs to a summer league championship while Lieberman was on the Kings' bench and Lindsey Harding was on the Toronto Raptors' staff.

"The thing that catches everybody's eye is that we're women coaching men," Lieberman told the Associated Press' Tim Reynolds in Vegas. "Eventually, it'll be normal. But certainly, Becky has opened up a tremendous door."

Now Lieberman herself will walk through it.