PDA

View Full Version : Golf: Woods off to a flyer at WGC event

Dmac
09-28-2006, 07:32 PM
Woods off to a flyer at WGC event

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/619/picture39ze6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

R1 LEADERBOARD:
GB & Ire unless stated
-8 T Woods (US)
-7 P Harrington, I Poulter
-6 S Cink (US), E Els (SA)
-5 D Howell, J Randhawa (Ind)
-4 N O'Hern (Aus), A Scott (Aus), J Furyk (US)
Selected others:
-3 L Donald, D Clarke
-2 S Garcia (Spa)

Tiger Woods put the Ryder Cup firmly behind him with an awesome opening nine holes and an eagle finish to lead the World Golf Championship by a stroke.

Woods stormed to the turn in just 29 shots and then holed from 20ft on the last for an eight-under round of 63.

His grandstand finish hauled him past Ireland's Padraig Harrington and Ian Poulter of Britain, who share second.

Woods, seeking a fifth win in the event, had a poor Ryder Cup by his high standards as Europe thrashed the US.

But he was back to his best in the opening round at The Grove, near Watford.

His only dropped shot came at the 17th when he made a rare mistake and overshot the green with his approach.

"I hit the ball really well, birdied the par-five second and from then on I was in position to make quite a few birdies," said Woods.

"I hit the ball close enough and hit some good putts and once the balls were going in I got momentum.

"Some golf courses you feel comfortable on when you first play them. I feel comfortable about shaping the ball round this course."

Harrington admitted Europe's Ryder Cup triumph at the weekend, when he won only half a point from five matches, had left him drained.

"Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday I was extremely tired," he said.

"I played a practice round on Wednesday and it was the hardest 18 holes of golf I have had to play in terms of not wanting to be out on the course.

"But I am always up for a tournament and it helped that I started with a couple of birdies - that caught my imagination."

England's David Howell carded a 66 that gives him hope of overhauling Paul Casey at the top of the European Order of Merit.

Players wore black ribbons at The Grove in memory of golf legend Byron Nelson, who died aged 94 on Tuesday.

US Ryder Cup captain Tom Lehman withdrew from the event so he could attend Nelson's funeral in Texas.

Credit - BBC Sport