PDA

View Full Version : CM Punk Talks In-Depth About His Injury, UFC Debut, Filming With His Wife & More

Kemo
10-20-2015, 12:38 AM
On Monday, former WWE performer turned UFC fighter CM Punk shed some light on the news regarding an injury he suffered that is rumored to be delaying his Octagon debut.

Punk appeared on Ariel Helwani’s weekly internet program, “The MMA Hour” at MMAFighting.com and spoke about exactly what happened in the gym that resulted in him suffering an injury.

Punk said he suffered the injury at the end of August while doing some grappling training. He claimed he was simply adjusting his position when he put all of his weight on his elbow and it popped, causing everyone in the gym to stop what they were doing, as they thought something serious had happened.

Punk pointed out that he managed to finish his workout and mop the mats like he always does, but he knew that it wasn’t good. In fact, Punk, who as a life-long pro wrestler is no stranger to injuries, noted that he thought he either tore his labrum or rotator cuff, however MRI results came back inconclusive.

The former WWE Superstar said that neither UFC President Dana White or UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta knew about the injury, as they found out about it the same way everyone else did. Punk claimed that he thought the doctors had talked and everyone was aware of the situation, and while that was not the case, he pointed out that both White and Fertitta called him to check in and make sure everything was alright as soon as they found out about the situation.

As far as the status of his injury right now, Punk claimed he is going to start some light striking training on a heavy bag this week to test the injury, but noted he is still paranoid about injuring it worse with grappling training. He mentioned that he is biking around 20-30 miles a day, is jumping rope to help stay in shape and that the strength is coming back. He said the most frustrating part about the injury was that he felt he had just turned the corner on certain aspects of MMA training when it happened.

It’s worth noting that the injury situation did not prevent the UFC from making an announcement regarding his first UFC fight, as Punk’s head coach, Duke Roufus, made it clear that he wanted Punk to train for a full year before even considering a potential fight date. Punk noted that following the injury situation, he plans on re-evaluating when his active UFC fighting career will begin in January, which was pretty much the plan prior to the injury as well.

Punk noted that he wished the news of his injury hadn’t come out at all, and said he spoke to Roufus about how they should handle the situation. The UFC hopeful came off somewhat frustrated and angry with the Internet coverage of the injury and how he’s been covered by the MMA Internet media in general.

“I don’t know why people are so concerned about what the f*ck I’m doing. If you don’t want to watch me fight, don’t watch me fight.”

While back in Chicago recovering from the injury, Punk noted that he spent three days filming a post-apocalyptic horror movie with his wife, fellow former WWE performer “AJ Lee” (April Jeanette Brooks). He mentioned that he took issue with fighters, fans and media that gave him grief for doing the movie. He said he has been paid “a ridiculous amount of money” to do the film, and didn’t feel it would hurt his MMA career. He pointed out that he doesn’t get paid until he fights, so he needs to make money while he waits for his UFC debut.

Regardless of the injury, the treatment from the Internet media and social media, Punk didn’t hesitate in saying he still plans on fighting in the UFC.

“I know I’ll get my day in the Octagon and will have fun doing it.”