PDA

View Full Version : Conor McGregor’s Coach Teases He May Go For UFC Welterweight Title Too

Kemo
02-12-2016, 07:16 AM
UFC featherweight champion Conor McGregor’s head coach John Kavanagh recently wrote a guest column for Irish sports website the42.ie. According to Kavanagh, McGregor might look for a fight against Robbie Lawler for the UFC welterweight title in the future.

“If that’s what Conor wants to do, I’ll absolutely support that move,” he wrote. “I think that would be fantastic. We’re already talking about making history in a few weeks, but can you imagine what it will be like if Conor is the champion in three weight classes by the summer?”

“He’s obviously already the featherweight champion, but we haven’t thought about that recently as we’ve been totally focused on the lightweight belt,” Kavanagh said. “Once that’s out of the way, we’ll talk about what to do with the featherweight belt.”

“As time goes on, it’s harder to predict what will happen in the future. Conor has a sort of unusual body type in that even though he can make featherweight; he’s still a very big lightweight. Given some time, as well as a bit of strength and conditioning work, he could also be a force at welterweight. This is an interesting time.”

McGregor is scheduled to fight Rafael dos Anjos for the UFC lightweight title at UFC 196 on March 5, 2016 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

the madscotsman
02-12-2016, 03:19 PM
I don't see how being a champ in one division gives yo the right to move to another weight class and get an immediate title shot.