View Full Version : Jimmy Hart Interview

Dangerous Incorporated
10-01-2006, 07:17 PM
Jimmy Hart Interview

“It’s freezin’ out here, baby!”

Those were the first words I heard out of Jimmy Hart’s mouth as the diminutive WWE Hall of Famer stood frigidly on the side walk of the Coffee Exchange in downtown Windsor, ON, Canada, promoting the Children’s Literacy - Raise-a-Reader campaign by Can-West Global Communications. The Mouth of the South, long a WrestlersRamblings.com favorite, appeared in full attire sporting his customary loud blazer over a black WWE-logoed shirt, with of a pair of black Ray Bans covering his sleep-deprived eyes. It looked as though the Tennessee-native had never been privy to sub-70 degree weather as he scurried inside the pseudo Seattle-looking little café with his trademark megaphone tucked under his arm. As I approached this WWE legend for a quick interview, I have to admit the mark inside me was bursting to fly out. It always is in this business - and I feel no shame; even the stars themselves are marks when you get right down to it.

While never leaving character, but showing a genuinely-affable personality, Hart was candid in his answers - if not a little politically correct. I can’t say I blame him though; I’ve always believed in never biting the hand that feeds you. Hart seemed pleased to be the subject of this interview, and if it were not for the fact that he had to mug and kibitz every few minutes with an excited fan, I’m sure he would have really opened up and provided even more insight on a career that has spanned four decades.

Troublemaker: So Jimmy, what’s new and how have you been?

Jimmy Hart: Just great, baby! Right now I’m just helping out with this great program for the kids, helping to promote reading which is the most important thing for young minds. In between gigs like this, I’m doing some VH1 shows with the Hulkster and every two weeks I get back to Memphis to help out with Memphis Classic Wrestling on UPN.

TM: What do you make of today’s in-ring product?

JH: It’s great for the wrestling fan! You got RAW on Monday, SPIKE on Thursday, Smackdown! on Friday and a wrap-up on the weekend. Throw in a couple pay-per-views and you got more wrestling on TV now than ever before.

TM: But the action in the ring?

JH: Well there’s something for everybody, baby. The little guys do all the high flyin’ and the bigger guys may rely on a little more psychology. Is it a little different than earlier in my day? Sure I guess. I remember one thing Dusty Rhodes said when we were in the back one day watchin’ a match: “My God I feel like I’m in a stunt show convention!” That’s all I’ll say, baby.

TM: When did your career really take off, and who were some personal favorites you lead into battle?

JH: I got really goin’ in 79’ down in Memphis until I believe 1984. That’s when New York called and I got a chance to be a part of WrestleMania One in 85.’ My best rasslers’ were the Hammer, Adrian Adonis, Dino Bravo, the Hulk of course - and definitely the Honky Tonk Man. We had a lot of fun, Honky and I. Just a great guy to work with.

TM: Who among your contemporaries do you regard as great managers?

JH: My top three would have to be Bobby Heenan, of course, Jimmy Cornette, and Paul Hayman. Paul’s a great talker.

TM: What do you think of the demise of the manager role in today’s wrestling?

JH: Well baby, nowadays it’s all about the eye candy. These girls they got today are beautiful. As long as they can get up in the mornin’ and do the promotional work, the autograph signing, the appearances at local stores and such - they’re great! If they can do the little things, they can be trained to be great managers. The work in-the-ring is the easy part.

TM: On a serious note Jimmy, what do you make of the passing of so many wrestlers over the last few years?

JH: You gotta live for today, baby. Everyone has their time, and everyone’s time is up one day. You just gotta live for today, baby.

TM: Kurt Angle just signed with TNA, what do you make of this move, and does it affect the WWE in any way?

JH: Are you kidding me? (Jimmy lifts his shades for the first time, giving an incredulous at such a silly question) Vince basically is wrestling, period. Nobody does anything that could affect Vince. He has all the TV, all the production. He has all the power if you will. If it wasn’t for Vince there would be no Kurt Angle. He gave him the push. There is no competition. Jeff Jarrett runs TNA not to compete with Vince, but to call the shots for his own promotion.

TM: What do you think of the TNA ring?

JH: Not a great idea. Maybe once in while in a feature match, but not as a regular thing. Those rings are big in Japan, I think that’s where he got the idea from. Wrestling has been using the same ring for 100 years, there’s no need to change it.

http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/8918/jimmyhart2xi7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)