PDA

View Full Version : IWA Mid-South Ted Petty Invitational Night Two

Dangerous Incorporated
10-01-2006, 06:58 PM
IWA Mid-South Ted Petty Invitational Night Two

This night was something that nobody that was in Midlothian will ever forget. I'll share my views on the whole situation after this report.

El Generico defeated MDogg20. It was a great way to open the show. Generico won with the super brainbuster, but nailed MDogg on the ring bolt, instead of the pad. Sick looking!

Claudio Castagnoli defeated Mike Quackenbush. All I can say is WOW. That had to have been one of the best matches I've seen anywhere this year. Both these guys were spot on and flowed perfectly. Lots of near falls.

Low Ki defeated Davey Richards. Just what you'd expect. It was almost like watching Ki/KENTA from Final Battle 2005. Very hard hitting. Richards went for the shooting star but Ki got the knees up, allowing him to capitalize and hit the double stomp from the top.

Chris Hero defeated Trik Davis. Hard hitting match. Both of them pulled out the Hangman's Clutch on each other. Referee stopped the match after Hero was using like a hanging armbar submission. Interesting to note, about 3/4 of the crowd turned on Trik Davis, cheering for Hero.

Arik Cannon defeated Hallowicked. Solid match. Cannon gets the win with the Glimmering Warlock.

Roderick Strong defeated Delirious. I liked this match. Delirious put up a good fight, but a backbreaker combo sealed his fate.

Iron Saints and American Kickboxer/Tarek the Great went to a no- contest when Tarek turned on AKB about 3 minutes into the match. The Saints then challenged anyone since they claimed total domination of the tag division, which leads to.....

Eddie Kingston, Joker, and Ricochet def. Iron Saints. Out comes Eddie Kingston and Joker. Brandon Thomaselli then joins in the fight, followed by Ricochet. I believe it was a Joker Driver to a double moonsault from Ricochet to get the win for Blackout.

Intermission

We then had the 6 team losers gauntlet. 2 teams would start, and another team would enter every 3 minutes. Once all 6 teams were in it was battle royal rules. Once one member was eliminated the whole team was eliminated. The final 2 teams would then wrestle under tag rules. The first two teams were Arrogance (Chris Bosh/Scott Lost) and Ricky Reyes/B-Boy. Kevin Steen/Colt Cabana were next, who basically screwed with each other the entire match. Jigsaw/Gran Akuma were next, followed by Scorpio Sky/Erick Stevens. Since Brandon Thomaselli and Ricochet were both in the 6 man match they were replaced by the Northstar Express of Darin Corbin and Ryan Cruz. It then went to over the top rules. Cabana eliminated Steen, kicking them both out. Sky/ Stevens were 2nd, then Jigsaw/Akuma, and then Arrogance. The Northstar Express ended up getting the win with a Cruz Control on Reyes.

Arik Cannon defeated Claudio Castagnoli to make the finals. Good match, very near falls. Another match where the crowd turned fast, this time on Cannon.

Roderick Strong defeated Chris Hero to make the finals. Hard hitting. One of the best Hero matches I've seen this year for sure. Crowd was about 60/40 Hero during the match. As soon as it was over it was back to heeling it up on Hero.

Low Ki defeated El Generico to make the finals. This was a short match. Generico held his own more than I thought he would, but he was no match for Low Ki.

Now this is where things get crazy, emotional, and just insane.

Josh Abercrombie defeated Tyler Black to retain the IWA Light Heavyweight Championship. The crowd was 95% pro-Abercrombie, and it all pieced together. Tyler Black had the match won, but Jim Fannin comes out and pulls the ref out and argues with him. That leads to a moment that NOBODY thought would EVER happen again in an IWA ring. JIMMY F'ING JACOBS came in and punched out Tyler, getting the win for Josh. Fannin then came in the ring and said that since he saved Josh's mustache, Josh would have to hold up his end of the deal, which was bringing Jacobs. They made it seem like Fannin wanted to manage Jacobs but it was all a setup, as Mitch Page and Bull Pain came in and started beating on Jacobs. At this point is when I seriously moved my chair aside, and walked out of the Midlodome, which I'll get to in a minute.

Chuck Taylor defeated Toby Klein to win the IWA-MS Heavyweight Championship. Mitch and Pain beat on Toby afterwards only for Necro Butcher to make the save.

Low Ki defeated Arik Cannon and Roderick Strong to become the 2006 Ted Petty Invitational Winner.

Post Show Thoughts: Up until Josh/Tyler it was a great show. The whole angle with Jacobs should NOT have happened at TPI. Strong Style or any other IWA show I can understand, but not at a memorial tournament. For those reading this that may not know what the whole deal is since Jacobs threw the IWA title away, basically it seems that if you set foot in an AAW ring (AAW is the promotion that Jimmy threw it at), you're castrated by an IWA crowd. The 3 faces that worked the show that got booed heavily by the IWA crowd: Trik Davis, who works AAW as part of DP Associates; Arik Cannon, who made his AAW debut last weekend in an excellent match against Marek Brave; and the worst of it all, Tyler Black, who is a member of JJ Inc, and also AAW Heavyweight Champion. In my mind, this was Ian and Fannin's way of sending a big "screw you" to AAW and everyone who works there. I know that this is wrestling and a business and all, but when you use a show that you know will be the most watched one, and basically use it to humiliate another promotion, I think that's disrespectful to not only the fans who go out and supported BOTH promotions, the workers who worked both promotions, but I think it was disrespectful to Ted Petty himself. This tournament was just supposed to be about great wrestling. Two nights celebrating the art that he loved. I guess now it all doesn't matter anymore.

Nick, Your Indie Lover
10-01-2006, 08:20 PM
Moved to results. I heard that it was a very good show. They said people were upset to see Black lose. He is quite the fan favorite