PDA

View Full Version : RAW & SmackDown To Run Separate Monthly PPV’s. Two World Titles?

Kemo
06-13-2016, 04:06 PM
Starting in September, WWE is planning to run two separate monthly pay-per-views for RAW and SmackDown, according to Dave Meltzer on Wrestling Observer Radio. WWE ran split-brand pay-per-views from 2003-2007, but these shows were mostly alternating months. The concept was ultimately scrapped due to lack of interest in the SmackDown shows. It’s no secret that WWE already has a major problem with overexposure. Live attendance is down, television ratings are way down and it’s hard to justify there being a demand for this.

SmackDown moving to Tuesday nights is widely seen as a net positive, as it elevates the show’s profile. There are also a lot of potential drawbacks. Another 3-hour monthly PPV has the potential to drive away even the most ardent fans. Meltzer said split-brand PPVs virtually guarantees that WWE will create a second world title for SmackDown, which will inherently dilute the value of the other titles.

SmackDown moves to Tuesday nights and goes live every week starting on July 19th.

frisco
06-13-2016, 08:22 PM
I hate the idea of the brand split. I am just going to ignore Smackdown entirely. WWE already has two brands--WWE and NXT. They need to focus more on the exciting NXT and week WWE like it is. I would be fine with a more divided WWE and NXT, but splitting RAW and Smackdown is a stupid idea IMO.