PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Thompson On Fighting For UFC Belt, Possible Meeting With GSP

Kemo
06-27-2016, 05:02 PM
Stephen Thompson is coming off a convincing decision victory over Rory MacDonald.

The win followed his knockout of former UFC welterweight champion Johny Hendricks and saw his win streak expand to seven.

“Wonderboy,” in a recent interview with Submission Radio, discussed why he believes there is no doubt that he is the No. 1 contender to the belt.

“I’m on a seven-fight winning-streak, which is the most in the division. So I beat the best guys in the division. I beat the number two guy, the number one guy, finished Jake Ellenberger in the first round, Johny Hendricks in the first round. I think they have to give it to me. I think everybody is waiting to see how everything is going for the Tyron and Robbie Lawler fight coming up. I’m really anxious to see that as well. So I’ll definitely be keeping my eye on that. And yeah man, I’m trying to get that title shot in November in New York in Madison Square Garden. I think that’s the place to do it,” he said. “I’ve done what the fans and what the UFC expected of me. I went out there and finished some guys in the first round, went five rounds, unanimous decision against Rory MacDonald the number one contender. Give me that title shot, guys. I guarantee you it’ll be a war and an exciting fight.”

While rumors continue to circulate around a return by Georges St-Pierre, Thompson is one of the few out there not interested in locking horns with the Canadian inside the Octagon.

“I would [have issues facing GSP]. Just [because of] the fact that I’ve known him for a very long time and been a part of his camps for a long time,” he said. “But I think he knows what my goal is, and that’s to be the champion. I’ve worked really, really hard this year and since I’ve stepped foot inside the octagon to get there. So we’ll see.”