PDA

View Full Version : Joanna Jedrzejczyk Calls For New Flyweight Division

Kemo
07-01-2016, 03:33 AM
UFC Women’s Strawweight Champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk is apparently looking to become the first-ever multiple division women’s champion in UFC history.

Ahead of her latest title defense against rival Claudia Gadelha, which serves as the main event of The Ultimate Fighter 23 Finale event on July 8, Jedrzejczyk spoke about her intentions to become the first UFC Women’s Flyweight Champion.

During the media call to promote the Jedrzejczyk-Gadelha bout on the TUF 23 Finale card, Jedrzejczyk urged the promotion to add a UFC women’s 125-pound division.

“I want to be the first champion of the 125-pound division,” said the reigning UFC women’s 115-pound champion. “I think the UFC should do this move.”

For her part, Gadelha seems to agree that the addition of a women’s 125-pound division would be a smart move for the promotion to make.

“A lot of good fighters at bantamweight can do very well at flyweight,” said Gadelha during the same media call. “I used to compete at 125 pounds and I felt a big difference. I’m not having a big problem with the weight-cut, but “JoJo” and Valerie [Letourneau], they had some problems at strawweight, but the fight at 125 [pounds] looked amazing. It’s good for all of us.”

Jedrzejczyk and Gadelha, who will fight for her 115-pound title on 7/8, fought previously in their UFC careers. Jedrzejczyk edged out Gadelha in a close, hard-fought bout, picking up the victory by split decision at the UFC On FOX 13 event in 2014.

Joanna Jedrzejczyk vs. Claudia Gadelha 2 headlines the TUF 23 Finale event, which goes down live from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada during UFC’s International Fight Week on Friday, July 8, 2016.