PDA

View Full Version : Triple H TakeOver Media Call: New WWE Signings, 50/50 Booking, Cruiserweight Title

Kemo
08-18-2016, 02:13 AM
Don't miss @WWENXT's return to BROOKLYN!! #NXTTakeOver: Brooklyn II is THIS SATURDAY, only on @WWENetwork! https://t.co/DsZBsM4ioy

— WWE (@WWE) August 17, 2016

Triple H took part in what has become his NXT TakeOver tradition, as he spoke to members of the media on conference call on Wednesday afternoon to promote this Saturday’s NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn II event at the Barclays Center.

Although most of the discussion centered around this Saturday’s live NXT special on the WWE Network, HHH also touched on the recent signings made as part of the new red-brand exclusive Cruiserweight division, which WWE has been advertising on RAW the past couple of weeks.

“We’re signing a lot of cruiserweights right now and I’m, you know, basically I’m creating a division,” said Triple H. “So, I’m going around and signing guys and I’m also keeping an eye towards the future as well.” He continued, “I don’t need to have every single cruiserweight right now, I just need to have a decent amount. And they will be working NXT, they will be working NXT live events, and they’ll also be working Raw as cruiserweights. The opportunity is there to do both.”

Regarding Kota Ibushi, who has insisted that he is interested in working for WWE while continuing his work elsewhere as a true freelancer. Triple H mentioned that WWE is open to doing a variety of different things, but he seemed to be pretty firmly opposed to that arrangement.

“I think when it comes to the cruiserweight division we’re looking for something solely WWE and keeping it in-house.”

The WWE COO also touched on the 50/50 (Even-Steven) booking reputation and style that WWE has become synonomous with over the past several years. While he reiterated comments he made in a previous interview he did with ESPN last week, which basically relies on WWE’s success as the main reason to support the argument, even though nothing is mentioned of well over 50 years of getting fans into a form of habit in terms of what to expect from a WWE show or match.

In addition to making the same points as he made in the ESPN interview, HHH also spoke about the extreme differences in booking the one-hour NXT program as compared to the three-hour RAW, or two-hour SmackDown Live broadcasts, noting that it’s a completely different ballgame.

“When you compare a one-hour show to a three-hour show from a writing and a booking standpoint it’s not even in the same stratosphere. It’s a totally different animal. “ Triple H said. “None of it is right and wrong, it’s chocolate, it’s vanilla, it’s all these different things that they’re different flavors, and at the end of the day the long-term success of your business and your company, and you can say what you want about it, but there’s a pretty good track record for a lot of it.”

Near the end of the call, the reports regarding WWE having their official Cruiserweight Title belt commissioned and ready to go, including the rumor that it will debut at the finals of the first-annual WWE Cruiserweight Classic (CWC) came up. Triple H was non-committal towards the latter, and instead of giving a direct answer, he opted for the generic, “You’ll have to wait and see!” response.

Triple H would then wrap up the media call, but not before including some final praise for all of the competitors who have been involved with their first ever Cruiserweight Classic tournament and referred to it as something WWE created that “is special.” He then said that the company is still deciding what and when the next opportunity will be.

NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn II takes place this Saturday, August 20th from the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York, and will air live on the WWE Network. The WWE Network is also the place to be if you want to catch the WWE Cruiserweight Classic tournament, which is currently airing every Wednesday night.

This Summer has seen change & growth for @WWENXT. Thx to the industry outlets on today's call. See you in Brooklyn. pic.twitter.com/b7uiaVJkEB

— Triple H (@TripleH) August 17, 2016