PDA

View Full Version : Cody Rhodes Explains What Influenced His Stardust Character

Kemo
10-21-2016, 12:55 PM
GPWyZK_suAk

Former WWE star Cody Rhodes recently did a promotional interview for his appearance on The CW’s Arrow where he spoke at-length about his former Stardust character. Rhodes left WWE back in May due to creative differences after reportedly “pleading” with the creative team for months to end the Stardust character.

“I think for me, internally, the entire thing was a comic book,” Rhodes said of his approach to playing Stardust. “In terms of psychologically thinking about it, I approached it like a symbiote, like Venom, taking over my initial persona. Especially since I’d wrestled for the prior eight years as myself and here was this drastic departure. I was treating it like this symbiote thing. That’s what I would say to myself in my head.”

The second-generation wrestler says that he also pulled on old Batman characters for inspiration. Rhodes had previously expressed disappointment that WWE fans would remember him as Stardust rather than for what he had done before being given that character.

“Then performance-wise, people know I was just stealing flat out from Frank Gorshin and Jim Carrey’s Riddlers,” Rhodes told IGN. I’d watch the scene where he blew up the Batcave and study how he moved around and just plucked some of that out in certain ways. In my mind, it was a mash-up of different comic book influences. I loved the idea that I had an alter-ego but that my true identity was very well known and very much on the surface. I was the only one who didn’t know who Stardust really was. So it was very much tied to comics. Everything I’ve done. I did a whole run where I’d wear a face mask when I was on SmackDown and that was based on Dr. Doom. Comics and me go way back.”

Since leaving WWE, Rhodes has performed for TNA and Ring of Honor under variations his real name.