PDA

View Full Version : F1: Schumi plans the perfect ending

Dmac
10-05-2006, 07:23 AM
Schumi plans the perfect ending

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/2618/schumacher2007ue9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Ferrari team leader Michael Schumacher has said that his victory in China has given him an 'extra spur' for the Japanese Grand Prix this weekend.

The German admits he thought the Shanghai event would be the toughest out of the final three races - China had been something of a bogey track for the seven-time world champion prior to his win on Sunday - and as such he reckons it 'counts twice'.

"There is no better way to enter into the end of the season with two races to go than a victory. Two decisive races in the battle of the championship are still to go, but a victory like that counts twice," he confirmed. "Obviously this success has given us all even more spur.

"On Saturday it looked as if everything was against us, but in the end we could gain this dreamlike result. That was the reason why I was in such a good mood on Sunday; after all the difficulties during the qualifying I didn't hope to win, but instead I thought how to limit the damage.

"I have often said that I consider Shanghai the most difficult of the last three races and I expected an intermediate result. Thus a similar result, to be honest, counts twice.

"The upcoming two races will be at two racetracks I really like a lot and they also should be favourable to us: Japan and Brazil. We are leaving Shanghai strengthened and ready for the decisive part of the championship.

"This victory did give us the right amount of motivation, even though we do not really need it. We are all really concentrated on winning both the titles and we are perfectly aware of the fact that it will be a tough fight. We also know what is waiting for us. I also have to say that I'm incredibly glad to take this challenge."

Schumacher now leads the drivers' championship courtesy of that result, as although he and Fernando Alonso are both tied at the top of the drivers' standings with 116 points, Alonso has only taken six wins this year, while Schumacher has notched up seven.

"To be in Japan with an even and promising result in the classification is something that we could not even dream of in Canada, when we were 25 points behind. Now the championships start anew from zero. And you cannot wish for more. It will be a fantastic battle, something really exciting," he added.

As for the Suzuka track itself it is one of Schumacher's favourites, not surprising considering his run of results at the circuit and while he had to settle for seventh place last season - he has won there six times, in 1995, 1997, 2000, 2001, 2002 and 2004 and finished second on three other occasions.

"With our win in Shanghai I'm looking forward even more to the race in Suzuka, which is anyway always one of the season highlights," he conintued. "This track is like a dream; especially the first sector. To drive that part of the track is just fabulous: the s-curves, the rhythm, just incredible.

"By the way rhythm is a good key-word: because we definitely want to keep our level in terms of performance. We clearly made better work in the second part of the season, thus we deserved to equalize in the championship. Who could have imagined something like that three months ago?

"When you have a look at the team and how much ambition and fighting spirit they put into catching up, then there's nothing to wonder about. It's just a very special troop.

"In Suzuka, the championship almost starts from the beginning and I think that this is the ideal starting-point for all motoring enthusiasts. We are ready for a tough and tight fight; during the last two weekends it's all about giving our best. And because of that the win in Shanghai was so important - it just gave us some extra drive."

Credit - Sky Sports