PDA

View Full Version : Sami Zayn Hopes to Change Perceptions of Muslims

Kemo
02-08-2017, 01:28 PM
I can't articulate how truly disgusted I am right now. #MuslimBan

— Sami Zayn (@iLikeSamiZayn) January 28, 2017

Sami Zayn was born and raised in Montreal, QC Canada, but his family comes from Syria. His real name is Rami Sebei, his family is Muslim, and he speaks Arabic fluently.

While WWE is avoiding political talk at the moment, Sami Zayn hasn’t hesitated to comment on the US travel ban.

The fear, hatred & division sold to us is a much bigger problem than our struggling brothers & sisters are. CHOOSE an open heart over anger.

— Sami Zayn (@iLikeSamiZayn) January 25, 2017

I applaud @JustinTrudeau for his efforts in cultivating a harmonious culture & celebrating diversity in our country. Proud to be Canadian.

— Sami Zayn (@iLikeSamiZayn) February 2, 2017

Sami Zayn ESPN Interview

Zayn recently spoke to ESPN about his Syrian heritage and Muslim upbringing, as well as his hopes to change perceptions of Muslims.

“It’s definitely a sensitive topic to discuss, but I have felt since I signed with the WWE I was in a unique position to reestablish how Arabs were perceived in the WWE and western media,” He told ESPN recently.

“Ever since I was a kid and growing up and watching things like the ‘Naked Gun’ movies, there was always this stereotype about how Arabs were perceived and portrayed. I’ve never watched those Arab villains in the movie and felt like that was me. They were nothing like me, and now I get to just be me — and hopefully being me strikes a chord with a lot of young Arabs and non-Arabs, honestly. We’re really not all that different.”

Zayn is a Canadian citizen, and even though he his family is from Syria, he will not be impacted by the US travel ban.

Quebec Mosque Shooting

On January 29th 2017 2 gunmen opened fire on a mosque in Quebec City. 6 people were killed while attending prayer. Sami Zayn and Kevin Owens are both from Quebec.

Both Owens and Zayn could be seen wearing black armbands with the Quebec fleur-de-lis, a symbol of French Canada.

My heart is with the Muslims of Quebec.

Mon coeur est avec les musulmans du Québec.

قلبي مع المسلمين في كيبيك..

— Sami Zayn (@iLikeSamiZayn) January 30, 2017

Mes pensées sont avec les familles des victimes et avec le Québec au complet. J'ai le coeur vide en ce moment. Prenons soin l'un de l'autre.

— Kevin Owens (@FightOwensFight) January 30, 2017