PDA

View Full Version : Sara McMann: ‘My Eyes Are Locked on Women’s Bantamweight Title’

Kemo
02-17-2017, 11:09 PM
Sara McMann is well aware of the UFC new weight class.

The former UFC women’s bantamweight title contender has not given up on her dream of capturing the 135-pound gold. McMann suffered a first-round TKO loss to Ronda Rousey in her bid to nab the title back in Feb. 2014.

After a split decision win over Lauren Murphy, McMann lost two straight to Miesha Tate and Amanda Nunes. She bounced back with a unanimous decision win over Jessica Eye and a submission win over Alexis Davis.

McMann will look to extend her streak to three against Gina Mazany this Sunday night (Feb. 19) at a UFC event in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. Despite the women’s featherweight division now a reality in the UFC, McMann feels she’s in the right weight class:

“I cut a lot of things out of my diet and I eat super clean, and I make the weight precisely. Every bit of my weight is functional weight. That’s the perfect weight class for me. I can perform the best but be the leanest possible. At 145 I would just be walking in like a regular day, and I don’t think that would be good when they can rebound close to 160.”

While the women’s featherweight division is lacking a sizable amount of competitors, McMann doesn’t plan on beefing it up. Her ultimate goal is to be the women’s bantamweight ruler with the possibility of a super fight at 140 pounds.

“I want the title at 135 and after that, if they wanted to do some super match-up at 140, I would consider that if it was a good move for my career. My eyes are locked on that bantamweight title.”

The main event of the UFC Fight Night card in Halifax will be a heavyweight battle between Derrick Lewis and Travis Browne.