PDA

View Full Version : Dana White On Kurt Angle - 6/10/06

Dangerous Incorporated
10-06-2006, 01:35 AM
Dana White On Kurt Angle - 6/10/06

It's one or the other for Ultimate Fighting Championships President Dana White _ even if that stance means losing the chance to book former World Wrestling Entertainment superstar Kurt Angle.

After being released by WWE in August reportedly because of wellness issues both inside and outside the ring, Angle spoke with UFC about the possibility of making his mixed martial arts debut. Representing the U.S. as a heavyweight, Angle won a gold medal in the 1996 Olympics.

White considered matching Angle against Daniel Puder in a UFC bout stemming from a legitimate altercation between the two while both were in WWE in 2004. As part of the Tough Enough competition for aspiring wrestlers that he ultimately won, Puder caught Angle off-guard with a submission maneuver during a wrestling challenge.

White, though, said he lost interest when Angle signed a contract to remain a pro wrestler with Total Nonstop Action Wrestling (11 p.m. Eastern, Thursdays and Saturdays, Spike).

"I wouldn't hire someone who is doing both," White said last week in a telephone interview. "I would never blow that line. You're either a fighter or an actor."

Angle's final months in WWE were marred by a slew of injuries that ultimately led to significant problems with pain medication abuse, according to the Wrestling Observer Newsletter.

"Injuries have always been a natural part of the business and my life," Angle said last month in a statement released on his web site (kurtanglewwe.com). "Where I have failed is not taking the time off to recover.

"When I'm off, the mental stress sitting back becomes worse than the physical pain. Something tells my inner soul to go back regardless of the condition. The funny thing is, this obsession is what the industry loves, but this obsession can also be my destruction."

Despite Angle's deteriorating physical condition _ his surgically repaired neck remains a mess structurally _ there remains strong interest in working an MMA match. While it would be difficult, Angle could theoretically train for a sporadic MMA fight _ and receive a significant payday in the process _ while working limited matches for TNA.

White said he was surprised Angle, 37, decided to resume his pro wrestling career.

"He's one of the greatest wrestlers of all time and he's done well," White said. "He keeps coming out publicly about how much wrestling wore him down and he's going back to wrestling again. I don't know.

"It's interesting, but I want guys who want to be real fighters."

White isn't hurting for marquee talent. The Ken Shamrock vs. Tito Ortiz headline match on Tuesday night's UFC special airing live from 8-10 p.m. (Eastern) on Spike.

The Ortiz-Shamrock clash is a rematch from their controversial June bout on the UFC 61 pay-per-view show. Ortiz defeated Shamrock _ who, like Angle, is a former WWE star _ in just 1:18 after what many believe was a premature referee stoppage.

White said he booked Ortiz-Shamrock on Spike because the UFC 61 ending marred a show that generated a company-record 775,000 pay-per-view orders from fans wanting to see a resolution to their long-standing feud.

"This thing is giving back to the fans," White said. "I feel like so many times when I was growing up, me and my buddies couldn't wait for the big fight and then we ended up disappointed. I don't want people who waited ... to see the end of this (Ortiz-Shamrock feud) feel like that."

Q: Where is Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake? _ Kenneth Poole, Bakersfield, Calif.

A: Ed Leslie _ whose 30 years in wrestling were highlighted by his 1980s stint as the "cuttin' and struttin'" Beefcake _ still works sporadically for independent promotions. Leslie, 49, reportedly will appear during the upcoming season of VH1's Hogan Knows Best reality show stemming from his real-life friendship with Hulk Hogan (real name Terry Bollea).

Q: What expectations do you have for the Ortiz-Shamrock match not only inside the ring but from a ratings standpoint?

White: “I’m honest when I say this – this thing is giving back to the fans. I feel like so many times when I was growing up, me and my buddies couldn’t wait for the big fight and then we ended up disappointed. I don’t want people who waited 13 weeks (through Ultimate Fighter 3) to see the end of this (Ortiz-Shamrock feud) feel like that.

“The fight got stopped early. Whatever opinion you have about whether that was right or wrong, it didn’t matter. This is all about giving back to the fans.”

Q: And the ratings expectations?

White: “I would love to see a great rating. That means everyone would be tuning in to see the rematch. I have no expectations on the rating or the fight. I just hope it’s a better fight than the second one (between Ortiz and Shamrock). The first one was a great fight.”

Q: When you booked them as coaches, how much life did you think the Ortiz-Shamrock feud have left and did you have any sense it would do so well on pay-per-view?

White: “I knew people would be interested. People love a good feud, a good grudge.”

Q: Even the pay-per-view numbers?

White: I thought it would do well. I’m not going to say I thought it was going to do those numbers. But (Matt) Hughes-(Royce) Gracie is close to it.”

Q: When it comes to shows that draw beyond hardcore UFC or MMA fans, obviously names like Royce Gracie and Ken Shamrock have helped. But they’re both older fighters whose best days are behind them. What marquee UFC matchups do you envision happening in 2007 that can draw a more mainstream audience and how important is it in UFC’s growth to have that?

White: “We’re going to continue the way we’ve been going. We built some great storylines with older guys coming back. And off those big fights, we’re building younger guys. Matt Hughes is a superstar. Chuck Lidell is a superstar. Now after season one of Ultimate Fighter, Forrest Griffin is a superstar.”

Q: How about the thinking that UFC needs to build grudges like Ortiz-Shamrock in the future to help expand the audience?

White: “No. There’s no real grudge between Matt Hughes and B.J. Penn. There’s no grudge between Anderson Silva and Rich Franklin. There’s not many true grudges in this sport. When you fall upon a grudge, it’s few and far between.”

Q: How much interest is there in Kurt Angle and how big a box office draw think can be?

White: “I was interested but he signed with TNA. I wouldn’t hire someone who is doing both. I would never blow that line. You’re either a fighter or an actor. He’s one of the greatest wrestlers of all time and he’s done well. He keeps come out publicly about how much wrestling wore him down and he’s going back to wrestling again. I don’t know. It’s interesting but I want guys who want to be real fighters.”

Q: What thoughts on how the current Ultimate Fighter season unfolding so far and put finger on why slight dip in ratings?

White: “I love season four. I love the whole comeback side of this thing. I love how there’s all real UFC footage in there when we recap what is done. And the reality side of it is great. Shoney Carter and Matt Serra are great.”

Q: And the ratings?

White: “It’s because of the competition. We’re out there against the NFL and a lot of male programming right now. But season four kicks ass.”

Q: How much interest have in using the Hard Rock in South on a semi-regular basis and where do things stand in terms of UFC booking other venues across country outside of Las Vegas?

White: “We’ll definitely be back at the Hard Rock. It’s a thrill finally getting things done down there and putting on a show in Florida. We definitely want to come back and continue putting shows there. We’ve also talked about Houston, Canada, Mexico, Sacramento and even hitting New England and possibly Columbus, Ohio.”

Q: Finally, what’s the status of your boxing match vs. Tito?

White: “It will be October 20.”

Q: And is it being taped?

White: “It is being taped. We’re going to fight at the training center. We don’t know what we’re going to do with it yet. Pilgrim Films is doing a documentary about it. These are the guys who do our reality show. Right now, they follow us around three days a week talking to me, Tito and everybody else in the UFC about what’s going to happen. It’s going be interesting.”

Source: http://www.shns.com/shns/g_index2.cf...ING05-10-05-06

Just KC
10-11-2006, 12:09 AM
KURT ANGLE UPDATE!

The following is Alex Marvez's latest column, which touches on the Kurt Angle/UFC rumors with comments from president Dana White himself.

Alex Marvez's weekly look at professional wrestling

By ALEX MARVEZ
October 4, 2006

It's one or the other for Ultimate Fighting Championships President Dana White - even if that stance means losing the chance to book former World Wrestling Entertainment superstar Kurt Angle.
After being released by WWE in August reportedly because of wellness issues both inside and outside the ring, Angle spoke with UFC about the possibility of making his mixed martial arts debut. Representing the U.S. as a heavyweight, Angle won a gold medal in the 1996 Olympics.

White considered matching Angle against Daniel Puder in a UFC bout stemming from a legitimate altercation between the two while both were in WWE in 2004. As part of the Tough Enough competition for aspiring wrestlers that he ultimately won, Puder caught Angle off-guard with a submission maneuver during a wrestling challenge.

White, though, said he lost interest when Angle signed a contract to remain a pro wrestler with Total Nonstop Action Wrestling (11 p.m. Eastern, Thursdays and Saturdays, Spike).

"I wouldn't hire someone who is doing both," White said last week in a telephone interview. "I would never blow that line. You're either a fighter or an actor."

Angle's final months in WWE were marred by a slew of injuries that ultimately led to significant problems with pain medication abuse, according to the Wrestling Observer Newsletter.

"Injuries have always been a natural part of the business and my life," Angle said last month in a statement released on his web site (kurtanglewwe.com). "Where I have failed is not taking the time off to recover.

"When I'm off, the mental stress sitting back becomes worse than the physical pain. Something tells my inner soul to go back regardless of the condition. The funny thing is, this obsession is what the industry loves, but this obsession can also be my destruction."

Despite Angle's deteriorating physical condition - his surgically repaired neck remains a mess structurally - there remains strong interest in working an MMA match. While it would be difficult, Angle could theoretically train for a sporadic MMA fight - and receive a significant payday in the process - while working limited matches for TNA.

White said he was surprised Angle, 37, decided to resume his pro wrestling career.

"He's one of the greatest wrestlers of all time and he's done well," White said. "He keeps coming out publicly about how much wrestling wore him down and he's going back to wrestling again. I don't know.

"It's interesting, but I want guys who want to be real fighters."

White isn't hurting for marquee talent. The Ken Shamrock vs. Tito Ortiz headline match on Tuesday night's UFC special airing live from 8-10 p.m. (Eastern) on Spike.

The Ortiz-Shamrock clash is a rematch from their controversial June bout on the UFC 61 pay-per-view show. Ortiz defeated Shamrock - who, like Angle, is a former WWE star - in just 1:18 after what many believe was a premature referee stoppage.

White said he booked Ortiz-Shamrock on Spike because the UFC 61 ending marred a show that generated a company-record 775,000 pay-per-view orders from fans wanting to see a resolution to their long-standing feud.

"This thing is giving back to the fans," White said. "I feel like so many times when I was growing up, me and my buddies couldn't wait for the big fight and then we ended up disappointed. I don't want people who waited ... to see the end of this (Ortiz-Shamrock feud) feel like that."

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

Q: Where is Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake? - Kenneth Poole, Bakersfield, Calif.

A: Ed Leslie - whose 30 years in wrestling were highlighted by his 1980s stint as the "cuttin' and struttin'" Beefcake - still works sporadically for independent promotions. Leslie, 49, reportedly will appear during the upcoming season of VH1's Hogan Knows Best reality show stemming from his real-life friendship with Hulk Hogan (real name Terry Bollea).

oojay
10-17-2006, 04:04 AM
"youre either a fighter or an actor"...."actor"?!......F*CK dana white