PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Omega Interview: NJPW to Los Angeles, Shoulder Injury, More

Kemo
03-24-2017, 11:42 PM
Kenny Omega was interviewed recently by NJPW1972.com, the promotion’s new English language website. The website has been part of a recent surge of attention NJPW has been giving to promote their product to English speaking countries, most notably in the United States.

The most notable move the company has made to break into the American market however, has been their decision to hold part of their annual G1 tournament in Los Angeles this summer.

“Coming to America is cause for celebration! But what would make people party the longest, hardest and loudest would be watching me in the main event wearing the IWGP Heavyweight Championship.” – Kenny Omega

NJPW have referred to WWE’s recent string of signing Asian and European based talent as a “global takeover”. Others have compared it to when Vince McMahon bought up or raided all the territories in the 1980s, but on a global scale. NJPW heading to America could be seen as a reaction to WWE’s current strategy.

Other notable Kenny Omega quotes from the interview:

On shoulder injury:

“You know, I really wanted to keep that injury secret. I didn’t want to tell anyone about it before the [New Japan Cup] match… I didn’t even want to tell anyone after the match either! Because if I said anything after the match, they’d say I was making excuses.”

On recent losses to CHAOS members Kazuchika Okada and Tomohiro Ishii:

"Does CHAOS know something about me? My weakness? How is it that Okada beat me after I gave it my all, and then Ishii as well? It blows my motherfXXXking mind! So what I need to do is go on a quest, a search for what I am lacking. What is Kenny Omega’s weakness!? That’s what I need to find next!"