PDA

View Full Version : Cody Talks About His Battle Over The Rhodes Name, Plans To Settle Down With One Company

Kemo
04-24-2017, 05:14 PM
Cody Rhodes recently spoke with Sports Illustrated about his desire to ‘settle down’ with one wrestling promotion, his battle with WWE over the “Rhodes” name and establishing his own legacy in the business. “I’m about to make a decision,” he admitted. “It’s been really fun to cross all the streams, but at this point I do need to find a new home.”

After his WWE departure in May 2016, Cody competed for New Japan Pro Wrestling, Ring of Honor, Impact Wrestling, WCPW, Pro Wrestling Guerrilla and countless independents across the world. He became the first man to ever compete in WrestleMania, WrestleKingdom, Bound For Glory, Final Battle and Battle for Los Angeles in a calendar year, a feat that will probably never be challenged. However, since leaving WWE, he remains at odds with the company over the ownership of the Rhodes name.

“I’ll tell you this, and I’ve not told anyone this, but I don’t mind that WWE took away my last name. Deep down, in my bones, I definitely want it back – and I have plans to get it back – but there is something to being Cody. The longer I don’t have a last name, the more I’m OK with it. That’s not to say WWE is holding it ransom. It’s literally an intellectual property law that easily can be remedied, but there is something about being Cody that I don’t mind.”

Wrestling as ‘Cody’ has allowed him to further establish his own identity and exist outside of the shadow of his father, the late “American Dream” Dusty Rhodes.

“When I’m brainstorming, I always remind myself, ‘Hey, it’s not about him.’ My dad hated being trudged up,” Cody revealed.

“I dragged him to Sacramento to get in the ring with Rey, and I promised I’d have WWE pay him double to come and do anything when we did Stardust vs. Goldust. I can remember him telling me that the last thing he really wanted on his resume was what we did at Battleground in 2013. With that in mind, I try very much to remember and do me.”

Below, you can check out Cody’s upcoming bookings:

The next 4 tour stops…
-4/22 Atlanta(Barnesville), GA
-4/23 Pocono Summit, PA
-4/28 QATAR ??
-4/29 Newcastle ?? pic.twitter.com/wbxAWk8oqB

— Cody Rhodes (@CodyRhodes) April 21, 2017