PDA

View Full Version : CM Punk Training For His Next UFC Fight, Says WWE Was Never His ‘End Goal’

Kemo
04-24-2017, 06:01 PM
Former WWE Superstar turned UFC fighter CM Punk recent recently spoke with ABC 7 Chicago about his pro wrestling career, his transition to the world of MMA and more.

Despite everything that CM Punk accomplished in WWE and his record-setting 434 day WWE Championship reign, Punk says wrestling for WWE was never the ‘end goal’ for his wrestling career.

“Obviously, I watched WWF as a kid, but when I made the conscious decision – WWF was never the end goal,” he said. “I romanticized about Japanese wrestling. There was two companies in Japan, it was called All Japan and New Japan, and that was my thing. I was more about going over there and being a star over there, then coming home and just being completely – you can walk down the street and nobody knows you.

That was my style, I liked it. But I worked so long and hard at it that it became so boring, it became the last frontier was WWE. I had to go see if I could conquer that so I gave it a shot.”

Earlier this week, CM Punk commented on his next UFC fight. Punk noted on Twitter that he’s “working on it” and "training and dealing with a lower body thing at the moment.”

Regarding the transition from WWE to UFC, Punk told ABC 7:

“It’s all tough. I was a wrestler throwing myself to the ground 300 days a year, now I’m more focused on different disciplines and I get to sleep in my own bed every night. Isn’t that great though? To me, there’s something so romantic about that. You walk into a cage and there’s a winner and a loser.

People can make excuses but at the end of the day, there’s a winner and a loser. I think in this world, because in my opinion you only get one time around, if you’re scared of something I think it’s best to face it head on. I’m comfortable with being uncomfortable.”