PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Lawler: “Great Balls of Fire” Singer Claimed Copyright Infringement

Kemo
06-07-2017, 03:04 PM
On the latest episode of his “Dinner with the King” podcast, Jerry Lawler mentioned WWE needed to make an arrangement with Jerry Lee Lewis over the “Great Balls of Fire” PPV name.

While WWE has shied away from potential legal action from both Ring of Honor and Anthem Sports and Entertainment recently, they were able to successful negotiate an arrangement with Lewis.

dkuptd-gInQ

Jerry Lawler’s Comments on “Great Balls of Fire”

On Great Balls of Fire Name:

“It’s ‘Great Balls of FIRE’ not ‘Great BALLS of Fire’. You put the emphasis on the ‘Fire’, not on ‘Balls'”

On Jerry Lee Lewis Legal Action:

“My personal attorney here in Memphis, is Joe Barton, good friend of mine and attorney. I got a phone call from Joe a few weeks ago, and Joe also represents Jerry Lee Lewis. ‘Hey Jerry do you happen to know who I’d contact at the WWE about copyright infringement?’ and I was like ‘what are you talking about?’.
‘Well, we understand that they’re doing a PPV called ‘Great Balls of Fire’ and Jerry Lee has that phrase trademarked. He has ever since they recorded the song’.

Jerry continued to say that his attorney contacted WWE and now they are not only using the name but also the song as well.