PDA

View Full Version : Daniel Bryan: A Change of Presentation (in WWE) is Absolutely Necessary

Kemo
06-20-2017, 02:12 PM
Earlier this week, Smackdown GM Daniel Bryan sat down with NBC Sports to speak about fatherhood and the current state of WWE.

Bryan has been absent from WWE programming since early May as he and Brie prepared to welcome their first child. He is scheduled to return on tonight’s Smackdown to address the controversy in the women’s MITB match.

On how much fun it is to let loose on Talking Smack (on a scale of 1 to 10):

“I don’t really view it in a scale of 1-10. Sometimes when I’m talking about things that I know I shouldn’t be talking about [laughs] it raises those parts in your brain that excites you and makes you happy. For example, when I refer to James Ellsworth as “The Big Hog” I don’t think anyone really appreciates that other than me and some of the viewers. It makes me chuckle.

I consider a 10 as the happiest or the most fun that I have. A 10 would be doing something really fun with my wife and daughter. Just yesterday we went to a place to eat and Birdie was cooing and smiling and Brie and I were having a great time. That’s just the best. Talking Smack on its best day can get to like a six or a seven. Once you have this idea of where your true happiness lies, it changes your perspective.”

On WWE and Smackdown Having a Stale Product:

“I think a change of presentation is absolutely necessary. I think the way that we present our superstars probably needs to change. Years ago, [WWE] went through with this idea of having as much live stuff as possible on the shows, but I think when you watch say UFC for example, some of the things that are the most endearing, that make you care the most about the fighters are these backstage vignettes that show their real personality. You’ll see great fights that people will cheer maybe because they’re great fights, but the fights that have the most impact are the ones with fighters who people actually care about.”

On Smackdown Failing American Alpha:

“I think one of our failings on SmackDown Live was American Alpha. They’re great and on NXT they did all of these fun little interview segments with the two of them that got to show the people behind American Alpha. (They saw) who Chad Gable is, who Jason Jordan is. I’d like to do more of that kind of stuff.”