PDA

View Full Version : Anthem Exec Talks About GFW’s Streaming Service, Why He Won’t Sell To WWE

Kemo
09-10-2017, 04:22 PM
Ed Nordholm, the Executive Vice President of Anthem Sports and Entertainment, appeared on Wrestling Observer Live on Friday to discuss GFW’s new Global Wrestling Network, an ‘over the top’ streaming service similar to the WWE Network.

Acknowledging that Global Force Wrestling’s troubled financial situation, Nordholm said:

“We’re invested in this company. We’re growing it. We know it’s not going to turn around tomorrow.”

In addition to GFW and TNA content, the plan is to feature content from GFW’s affiliate promotions, like AAA and NOAH. He even said they’d like to get New Japan content on the Global Wrestling Network, if they can persuade them. “We’ll have a plan, an efficient place for an aggregation of wrestling content that isn’t related to WWE.”

As for how the pricing structure would work, the are planning to have some content available for free, but:

“most of the product will be in the pay tier. It’s hard to make the business work in the digital world off an ad-based product. There will be stuff available on the free tier, but you’ll have to go to the pay tier for the archives.”

Regarding the possibility of selling the GFW/TNA tape library to WWE, Nordholm says he knows the value of the content they currently own and he’d rather monetize it himself than sell to Vince McMahon.

“I know full well how the WWE Network would monetize the content and what they could pay for the library. It makes no sense for me to sell it for that kind of price. I’d rather keep it, put it up on the app, and monetize it myself.”

Check out the complete Ed Nordholm interview at F4WOnline.com.