PDA

View Full Version : Bull Buchanan Talks About His Recent Wwe Dark Match

Dangerous Incorporated
10-08-2006, 10:09 PM
BULL BUCHANAN TALKS ABOUT HIS RECENT WWE DARK MATCH, THE ORIGINAL PLAN FOR THE WCW INVASION, THE BOTCHED END OF RIGHT TO CENSOR

There’s an all-new 70 minute edition of JG's Radio Free Insanity on the air and available for free download at www.WorldWrestlingInsanity.com. This week, in the 41st episode of Radio Free Insanity, host James Guttman interviewed former World Tag Team Champion Barry "Bull" Buchanan.

James begins the show by talking about the passing of Antonio Pena. Guttman says that he had met Pena at a 1993 wrestling convention in New York. From there, JG talks a bit about wrestling conventions.

After that, James goes into the Kanyon situation, including his comments on Howard Stern. Guttman says that he’s spoken to Orlando Jordan about some of the comments Chris has made and expects that he’ll have O.J. back on the show to discuss some of them.

From there, JG does the reader voted Moments of Insanity, going in-depth on the similarities between DX, Tina Fey, and Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip.

As part two begins, Guttman reminds listeners that they can hear all the Radio Free Insanity Archives over at ClubWWI.com. JG plays an audio track featuring all the guests including Samoa Joe, Scott Steiner, Christian Cage, and others. James also mentions that Bull Buchanan’s entire 63 minute shoot is available on ClubWWI.com as well. Along with unedited interviews with past guests like Bobby Heenan, Disco Inferno, Orlando Jordan, and others. After that, James welcomes Bull Buchanan to the show.

Buchanan starts by discussing his current wrestling career, which is mostly in Japan. He's been with the All-Japan promotion since leaving WWE three years ago. "I wish I'd went a lot sooner," he says.

Buchanan explains he was never comfortable with the "WWE superstar" label. All-Japan is more sports-oriented than his previous employer. This leads into a discussion about the sacrifices wrestlers make, and how some American fans discount it.

Overall, the industry's workrate has slipped, Bull says. When he was let go by WWE, Buchanan was told that his ability to work was a concern. He takes exception to this, and points to his current work in Japan as an example of his passion for the business.

Buchanan recently stopped by a WWE show in Atlanta to visit his friend Umaga, and while there, he was asked to work a dark match in Columbus the next night. He admits that it was "one of the most horrible matches I've ever had in my life", never clicking with his opponent.

James then turns the discussion to the WCW Invasion angle, which happened when Buchanan was still with the company. Buchanan recalls Vince McMahon's locker-room discussion the day WCW was purchased by WWE, and how the atmosphere in the company started changing instantly.

During the Monday Night Wars, WWE knew how to keep its wrestlers happy, knowing that it would have been easy for top talent to jump to WCW. "You saw a whole different type of attitude from the office," once there was only one wrestling company around, he says.

Bull recalls how the original plan for the WCW angle involved McMahon and Jim Ross having a blow-up on air, with JR quitting WWE and purchasing the competition. Of course, that never panned out, and when the WCW purchase happened, all the storylines were dropped, such as Buchanan's Right To Censor gimmick. Initially, the angle was supposed to end in a more high-profile fashion instead of ending without any rhyme or reason.

If he could choose any opponent from any era to wrestle, Buchanan would have faced Ric Flair. "Once he got to New York, I was pretty much on my way out," he says. Frank Gotch, Lou Thesz, Buddy Rogers and others are also cited.

In closing, Bull admits that it's hard for his American fans to watch him wrestle these days. He urges fans to keep supporting the business. "We've lost the casual fan; it's back to the hardcore guys now." He also mentions that World Wrestling Insanity is a "huge hit in All-Japan." Wrestlers will come back after a night at the bar and log onto the site to start laughing. He calls WWI "better than some of the shows right now" and compliments ZAH's "Shaking My Head" column in particular.

The exclusive interview continued on, and the entire 63-minute conversation can be heard, unedited, at ClubWWI.com. Buchanan holds nothing back, discussing who came up with The Truth Commission stable, why they group was killed off so soon, thoughts on WWE, TNA, Japan, and memories of former tag team partners such as John Cena and the late Ray "Big Boss Man" Traylor.

Source: PWInsider