PDA

View Full Version : Chris Jericho On His Relationship With WWE, Working With New Japan & ROH

Kemo
11-13-2017, 05:30 PM
Chris Jericho recently appeared on Busted Open Radio to discuss the news of him competing against Kenny Omega at New Japan Pro Wrestling’s Wrestle Kingdom event on January 4th from Tokyo.

Jericho shed some light on how his relationship with WWE played into him taking this high profile booking. Jericho says WWE is still his home, but he’s not “handcuffed” to them and is free to work in Japan, with Ring of Honor and whoever he wants. At the end of the day, it will make him an even bigger star when he returns to WWE.

“I like doing stuff that’s never really been done. I think I’m in a very unique position in the WWE where I have a great relationship with the company, one guy [specifically], where normal rules might not apply. But I also do it with respect and with relevance to what they’re doing and realize that WWE is still my company, it’s still my home, but I’m not handcuffed to WWE.

If I want to go to New Japan to work a main event at the Tokyo Dome or put on my own cruise and work in tandem with Ring Of Honor, that’s OK, because guess what? At the end of the day, when I go back to the WWE it makes me that much bigger of a star.”

Chris Jericho enjoys a great deal of flexility with his schedule, which has drawn comparisons to Brock Lesnar. Jericho said he’s a mercenary and is making the most of his freedom.

“It’s an old-school, something that you would see (Hulk) Hogan or (Ric) Flair or (Nick) Bockwinkel or somebody do back in the 80’s when they would do a big shot in Japan just because it meant something… I’m not a world champion, but it’s a big deal for Jericho to go there and I love that sort of intrigue and I think certain guys in the WWE appreciate that as well in the office because it makes for a better business.”

Even though he’s a WWE guy, Jericho sees a lot of value in promotions like Ring of Honor and New Japan giving the wrestlers and the fans an alternative. He feels competition and options are good for everybody.

“The good thing about New Japan and even Ring Of Honor to an extent is showing that WWE is not the only place in town, and I think the first people that would be happy about that are the guys that are running the WWE because it just makes for a better business, for a healthier business. And not just for the boys but for the fans. It pushes everybody to think more and to be more clever and creative and to work harder.”

You can listen to the full audio from the show below:

.@IAmJericho tells @bullyray5150 & @LarryDallasSXM that his match w/ Kenny Omega is a throwback to the 80s when superstars would go overseas for matches & that this match pushes promotions to think more & be more creative which ultimately is good for the pro-wrestling business. pic.twitter.com/M4whWT8MHc

— SiriusXM Busted Open (@BustedOpenRadio) November 10, 2017